Player’s hat trick led Lady Colonels to victory; 6-0

The soccer team huddles together before the Aug. 30th game against Troy University.  The Colonels lost 3-2.
Photo by: Kameryn Rome
The soccer team huddles together before the Aug. 30th game against Troy University. The Colonels lost 3-2.

Junior Kaity Mattsson’s hat trick elevated the women’s soccer team to a 6-0 victory over Alabama A&M Friday night to improve its record to 2-3. Mattsson’s hat trick was the second hat trick in Nicholls history. The three goals put her in a tie on top the University’s career goals scored list.”We did a good job of coming straight at them and creating opportunities,” head coach Dylan Harrison said. “One of the things we talked about was limiting their chances. We gave up maybe one chance to them that we shouldn’t have, but in the end we kept it clean which is always a positive.”

Mattsson took little time to get going as she scored her first goal just three minutes into the half with a pass from freshman defender Britni Crone before knocking it home past Bulldog goaltender Brittany Christian to put Nicholls up 1-0.

The assist marked Crone’s first point of her collegiate career and the goal was Mattsson’s fourth of the year.

Mattson continued the offense just four minutes later with another goal. Mattsson found the back of the net off an assist from senior defender Jessica Bedford at the 7:01 mark.

Just 10 seconds later, Mattsson completed the hat trick with an assist from sophomore defender Keisha Brown. That goal placed the Ontario native in a tie for the lead for the most career goals with 17.

Brown scored in the 73rd minute thanks to one of two assists from sophomore midfielder Carolyn Noble.

The Lady Colonels’ only other player to post a hat trick, senior forward Alicia Gautreau, returned back in the lineup for the first time this season after suffering a preseason injury and wasted no time making her presence felt.

Gautreau scored off a pass from Noble in the 76th minute to give the Lady Colonels a 5-0 lead. Sophomores Molly Mersereau and Sarah Damen split goalkeeping duty Friday night, stopping 10 Bulldog shots and all four Alabama A&M shots on goal.

“There were a lot of positives tonight,” Harrison said. “Obviously, Kaity’s hat trick to tie the school record is a tremendous positive and having Alicia come back from injury and get on the board gave us a boost. Damen and Merscreau were really solid tonight in getting us a shutout and our first road win. So, there were plenty of positives tonight. Now we get a day off to prepare and get ready for Jacksonville State and give ourselves a shot at two wins this weekend.”

The Lady Colonels go on the road Friday when they take on Centenary College at 7 p.m. in Shreveport.