Soccer team falls to Centenary, player breaks record

Redshirt sophomore forward Kandice Champagne gets support from her teammates as she is announced part of the starting lineup.
Photo by: Jamison Taylor

Despite losing one game last weekend, the Colonels soccer team had one player make it to the top of the school record books while another recorded a hat trick.The Colonels fell to the Ladies of Centenary College in Shreveport Friday; 2-0.

The Colonels were able to put a team total of 15 shots on the net. Four of the Colonel shots came from sophomore defender Keisha Brown and two from freshman midfielder/forward Jessica Herradon. Despite these 15 attempts, the Ladies goalkeeper, Deb Hill, did not allow anything past her, holding the Colonels scoreless.

On the other side of the field, sophomore Colonel goalkeeper, Molly Mersereau, was able to record 13 saves from 28 Ladies shots. However, two shots went passed Mersereau, allowing the Ladies to take control of the game and add another win to the team’s undefeated record.

The Colonels traveled back home to play the Lady Tigers of Texas Southern Sunday, where the Colonels dominated the game with a 7-1 victory.

After recording a hat trick last week, junior forward Kaity Mattsson moved right into the record books just 10 minutes into the game, scoring her 18th career goal and surpassing previous leader Kim Robinson, who scored 17.

However, Mattsson was not done scoring for the day. A few seconds passed the 21-minute mark, Mattsson scored once again, increasing her career goal count, as well as the mark for the record books. Every score by Mattsson for the rest of this season and next season will just raise the mark for those who follow in Mattssons footsteps, hoping to get their name in the record books.

“She scored a couple of nice goals,” head coach Dylan Harrison said. “She’s a dangerous player and has been a big part of our offense. She’s worked hard to get where she is, and it’s always nice to see one of your players set a school record.”

Also marking programs history is Herradon, who recorded her first career hat trick with her first three career goals. Herradon’s hat trick was her first and the program’s third, following senior forward Alicia Gautreau’s hat trick last season and Mattsson’s hat trick last week.

Herradon’s goals came in the 25th minute, the 58th minute and the 76th minute.

“Jessica is a quality player,” Harrison said. “I think she’s starting to figure out the college game a bit, which is a challenge for any freshman. Given time and opportunity, she can be a dangerous player, and she proved that today. She worked hard on the ball and off the ball to create some opportunities. It was great to see.”

Other Colonels scoring were sophomore forward Kandice Champagne and sophomore midfielder Alana DeHart.

“We were able to get a lot of players into the game today,” Harrison said. “It was great to give a chance to the girls that have been working hard during the week. Getting them on the field, getting them involved and having them contribute was good to see. Hopefully, they will gain an appreciation and see all their hard work has really been paying off.”

The Lady Tigers avoided a shut out by scoring off of a corner kick in the 84th minute; however, they were not able to score again thereafter.

The Colonels hope to start a winning streak when they travel to Jackson State on Friday and return to play at home on Tuesday against Alcorn State with kick-off set for 4 p.m.