No money, no problem

Traffic violators can work off fines
A vehicle passes by the radar trailer on Audubon Drive Friday.  University Police introduced a zero-tolerance policy against speeding and parking offenses.  Violators have the option of performing community service on campus instead of paying a fine.
Photo by: Bridget Mire
A vehicle passes by the radar trailer on Audubon Drive Friday. University Police introduced a zero-tolerance policy against speeding and parking offenses. Violators have the option of performing community service on campus instead of paying a fine.

University Police and Nicholls’ grounds department have begun offering community service to students, staff and faculty as a cash-free alternative to paying traffic citations.Craig Jaccuzzo, director of University Police, said the community service program will allow traffic violators to perform work, ranging from clerical to physical labor, in lieu of paying a fine. “It all depends on where the extra help is needed with either the University Police department or grounds department,” Jaccuzzo said.

John Hunt, director of grounds, said much of the community service work he oversees at Nicholls is collecting trash. “Most of the trash on campus gets thrown out of the cars in the parking lot or blows out of the trash cans around campus,” Hunt said.

Traffic violators must complete three hours of community service within a 60-day period per citation. The charges of the citation will be held until the work is done or the 60-day period expires, during which late fees will not be charged.

Violators must apply for community service with University Police within the 15-day appeal period after receiving the citation and cannot use the program more than twice during the year their decal is valid.

Violators issued a citation for not having a decal must purchase one before being allowed to perform community service. The program will exclude frequent violators and citations for illegally parking in handicap spaces.

Jaccuzzo said he hopes the program will reduce the number of traffic violations on campus. “Too often, people just pay the citation and will most likely violate again.” Jaccuzzo believes performing community service will be a more effective reminder to not violate traffic laws.

“I hope it’s a successful program,” Jaccuzo said. “Some people don’t want to be bothered with community service, but I do hope people use the program.”

Jaccuzzo said University Police has also been working to reduce speeding on campus by placing radar trailers around campus to inform drivers of their speed and by monitoring traffic at stop signs.

“We have made a great effort to reduce speeding on campus over the past couple weeks to make Nicholls State University a safer campus,” Jaccuzzo said. “I would like to thank the community for their cooperation and heightened concern for traffic awareness.