University offers free H1N1 shots

Photo by: Elise Hotard

University Health Services is holding a free H1N1 immunization clinic today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the La Maison du Bayou clubhouse for students 24 years old and younger.The Centers for Disease Control has identified the University’s highest risk group as anyone two to 22 years old. In addition, University Health Services has recommended students meeting certain criteria to receive one of the two available vaccinations.

Two thousand nasal spray vaccines are available for healthy, non-pregnant students, on-campus residents, student athletes and students who work in a classroom or clinical setting. Diane Garvey, director of University Health Services, said her office is focusing on students who fall in these criteria for the nasal spray vaccine because there is a higher risk of spreading H1N1 when living close to other students or working with small children or sick patients.

“If one gets sick, many more can get sick,” Garvey said.

Three hundred inactivated injection vaccines are available to students who are pregnant, care for infants, work in the medical industry, have chronic medical conditions or have weakened immune systems. Garvey said the inactivated injection vaccines are reserved for students who are pregnant or in poor health to reduce the chance of harming the fetus or aggravating a medical condition.

“I urge students to talk to their parents, guardian and physicians,” she said. “They need to talk to those closest to them to make that decision.”

Students must present a Nicholls ID and undergo a medical survey before getting vaccinated. Anyone allergic to eggs cannot receive the vaccination at the clinic, as the H1N1 strain used in the vaccine is grown in eggs.

Garvey said the inactivated injection vaccine can cause soreness, fever, aches and nausea but cannot transmit the flu. The nasal spray vaccine contains a live but weakened strain of the flu and can cause runny nose, headache, sore throat and cough.

Garvey said University Health Services would not turn any student away from the clinic that is 24-years-old or younger and that future rounds of vaccination will be held with expanded criteria so all students, faculty and staff can choose to be vaccinated.

Director of Campus Recreation Michael Matherne explains the procedure for receiving the H1N1 vaccine to Misty McMillian, pre-medicine senior from Houma, Wednesday at the La Maison du Bayou Clubhouse. (Bridget Mire)