‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ postponed indefinitely

Kirk Savoie, education graduate from Schriever, practices his role in the now canceled Nicholls Players production A Streetcar Named Desire.
Photo by: Kameryn Rome
Kirk Savoie, education graduate from Schriever, practices his role in the now canceled Nicholls Players production “A Streetcar Named Desire.”

The Nicholls Players’ fall production entitled “A Streetcar Named Desire,” written by Tennessee Williams, was postponed indefinitely last month after a broken part in Talbot Theater’s lighting system could not be replaced on time. The play, which was to debut Oct. 22 and run through Oct. 25, was first postponed to begin Oct. 24 and run through Oct. 27 due to the technical problem. However, when the University was informed the part would not arrive on time, Stanley Coleman, assistant professor of mass communication and play director, decided to cancel the play for the semester.

“We had no staged lighting for the play, and there was nothing else we could do,” Coleman said. “We thought the part would be in by the time we reset the performance, and when we found out the part was not going to be in, the only thing we could do is postpone it indefinitely.”

The $17,000 part had to be shipped from Canada and encountered problems in customs, causing the delay. Coleman said he could not postpone the production a second time because other functions were scheduled to take place in Talbot Theater, and he was not sure when the part would be in and if it would arrive in time for a second postponement.

“I understand there were some students that weren’t very happy we weren’t doing it,” Coleman said. “We put quite a bit of work on the play, and to put six weeks of work in and not get to do it is of course disappointing for everyone involved.”

Jeanette Burke, general studies senior from Thibodaux, said she was disappointed about the cancelation because she will not be able to take part if the cast performs the production next semester.

“I was devastated from a senior’s standpoint, knowing I wouldn’t be on campus next semester if we did do it again,” Burke said. “It was very disheartening and sad. I don’t think sad even encompasses the feelings I felt. It makes me wonder where we got ‘the show must go on’ quote. I always hear that in theater.”

While many students involved in the play were disappointed about the cancelation, Coleman said some felt they were not informed of the indefinite postponement soon enough.

“I think one of the big things is students complained that they weren’t notified in a proper way,” Coleman said. “But I did notify the students in a proper way in time enough so they would know we couldn’t do the play.”

Coleman said he sent all the Nicholls Players members a notification through Blackboard and through e-mail the morning before the scheduled performance on Oct. 24, as soon as he found out delivery of the part would be delayed.

Burke agreed the University did all it could to “keep people in the loop.” Her only complaint was the University did not team up with another venue off campus to host the production.

“It seems like it would have been a win-win if we could have partnered with another playhouse or theater in the area,” Burke said. “But as far as I understand, I don’t think that was ever an option.”

But practicing for the production and working with the rest of the cast was a memorable experience despite the cancelation, Burke said.

“We did really come together as a cast, and I don’t think anybody can take that away from us,” Burke said. “Even if we just performed it for ourselves and Dr. Coleman and the few people that came in and out the rehearsals, it was a gratifying experience.”

Coleman said the production might be rescheduled for next semester, depending on the availability of the students involved. He may also reopen auditions for some roles.

For now, the costumes, props and makeup for the production remain stowed away in one of the theater’s dressing rooms, waiting to be used if the show goes on next semester, Burke said.

“It’s kind of eerie-everything is sitting exactly in place, waiting for next semester. All the costumes are pulled, all the props are there, all the makeup is out,” Burke said. “It’s kind of symbolic of what should have and could have been and will be, I guess.