Nicholls alumnus, writer to speak at fall commencement

Graduates enter Stopher Gymnasium May 23rd for the spring 2009 commencement ceremony.
Photo by: Kris Risinger

An awarded journalist and Nicholls graduate will speak to graduating students during fall commencement in December.Ken Wells, recipient of a bachelor’s in English from Nicholls and master’s in journalism from the University of Missouri, will speak to graduates at the fall commencement ceremony on Dec. 12. Wells will talk about his experience at Nicholls and his journey through his career as a journalist.

Carroll Falcon, provost and vice president of academic affairs, said students enjoy hearing from successful alumni of their school. “By hearing from successful alumni, it reinforces to the students that they can be successful as well,” Falcon said.

Wells was chosen to speak at commencement because of his successful career. Wells started in the local newspaper business, working as a reporter at “The Houma Daily Courier”. He later worked for “The Miami Herald” where he wrote a series of articles on the management of Florida’s water resources. Wells received the runner-up Pulitzer Prize in 1982 for his work on the series.

Wells was hired by the San Francisco bureau of “The Wall Street Journal” and was later hired by the London bureau. He was the past editor-in-chief of the book division of “The Wall Street Journal.”

Wells received a Distinguished Writing Award from the American Society of Newspaper Editors. He was also recognized by Louisiana Public Broadcasting as a Louisiana Legend, a Louisiana citizen that has become successful in a variety of areas like writing, art, entertainment, politics and more.

Wells has written several books. His first novel was published by Random House and is called “Meekly LaBauve.” Wells has received the Chapin Book Award for his latest work, published by the Yale University Press, “Pirates of the Forgotten Bayous: Fighting to Save a Way of Life in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.” All of Well’s novels involve his bayou and South Louisiana roots.

Wells now works for Bloomberg News as a writer-at-large for Bloomberg’s projects and investigation team.

A board at Nicholls has selected Wells to receive an Honorary Doctor of Letters. The Honorary Doctorate is the highest form of recognition offered by Nicholls and is awarded for excellence in the fields of public affairs, science, arts, humanities, business and philanthropy. Wells will be receiving the Honorary Doctor of Letters for his contribution and achievements in the field of writing. “It is a great honor giving the Honorary Doctor of Letters to Ken Wells because of his great success in his career,” Falcon said.