Powell’s Peeves

Facebook’s follies

Facebook, oh how I loathe thee. You are so awesome yet such a distraction in the busiest of times. You have been there for me since I discovered you in 2004, and since then, you have prevented me from doing my schoolwork in a timely manner. You are the bearer of procrastination in your blue headline and infinite amount of pictures.I know I’m not the only one. Every day in classes, I see people taking out their laptops to “take notes,” even though many don’t require notes to be taken. This becomes a problem when these people ask for notes after you know full well they have been playing on their laptops every class period since the beginning of the semester.

I’m sure it’s necessary to see everyone’s dealings every day-even the 400 friends you haven’t seen since high school and probably never will again. But that’s ok because humans have an innate curiosity embedded in their brains, which causes them to want to know everyone’s business. And you, improper Facebook poster who tells the world what happens every minute of every day, get off the computer and get a little sun. I’d be willing to bet that hospitals have seen an increase in Vitamin D deficient patients since the popular program’s conception because it has caused people to seemingly become allergic to sunlight.

The worst part about Facebook, however, is that people’s families have joined in on this “new-age” technology. I know a lot of students would prefer if their parents did not see the pictures they uploaded from the night out on the town they had the night before, but it is a reality we all have to face since our parents are becoming more technologically literate to keep up with the times as best as they can.

Although many students played on their laptops and texted in class prior to the coming of Facebook, the program has increased the amount to the point that at least one person per class is engulfed in browsing and commenting on people’s statuses. Professors have even gone to the lengths, in some classes, of banning the use of a personal computer in the classroom mainly to prevent a student from spacing out and becoming a distraction.

My message to you, Facebook users-and you know who you are-is to be discreet about your endeavors when in the classroom, so you don’t ruin it for the rest of us because some classes would just be unbearable without the entertainment of our laptops.