Brief Happenings

Inaugural undergraduate humanities symposium to be held today

The free inaugural Undergraduate Humanities Symposium, sponsored by the Department of Languages and Literature and Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society, will be held today beginning at 2 p.m in the Magnolia Room of the Student Union..

Today’s presentation topics include: “Understanding the Holocaust through the Eyes of Perpetrators, Victims, and Bystanders,” beginning at 2 p.m. and “Is the Language of ‘Swamp People’ Exaggerating Cajun English?,” “The Transgender Community in South Louisiana: An Initial Investigation,” and “How the Hollywood Black Sermon Compares to Real Sermons in the African-American Church,” beginning at 5 p.m.

For additional information, call Scott Banville at (985) 448-4445.

Conference draws national celebrities, seeks registrants

The Louisiana Center for Women and Government will host the Louisiana Women’s Leaders Conference on Small Business Entrepreneurship on May 3 and 4 at the Renaissance Hotel in Baton Rouge.

The purpose of the conference is to empower women who seek information that will lead to economic wellbeing. Keynote speakers include former host of “Good Morning America” Joan Lunden, Forbes Woman publisher Moira Forbes and Cornell University professor Sam Bacharach.

The conference registration fee is $75. Checks should be made payable to “Friends of Louisiana Center for Women and Government” and mailed to P.O. Box 2062, Thibodaux, La. 70301. To pay by credit card, call (985) 448-4700. For additional details, visit nicholls.edu/lcwg/ and click on “Louisiana Women’s Leaders Conference on Small Business Entrepreneurship.”

Graduation to be held May 12

The Spring 2012 Commencement ceremonies will be held May 12 in Stopher Gym.

Session I will be held at 10 a.m. for the College of Arts and Science, College of Nursing and Allied Health, and University College.

Session II will be held at 2 p.m for the College of Business Administration and the College of Education.