Colonels pull off tie against UTSA after a rough series

Junior defender Allison Mylius fights a Texas State player for the ball during Fridays game.  The Colonels lost 3-1.
Photo by: Katelyn Thibodeaux
Junior defender Allison Mylius fights a Texas State player for the ball during Friday’s game. The Colonels lost 3-1.

Nicholls soccer stops a five-game losing streak Sunday with a 1-1 tie against Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners.Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Molly Mersereau posted her sixth match of the year with double digit saves, and senior Alicia Gautreau scored her fourth goal of the season to make the Colonels 4-11-1, 0-4-1 for the year.

Tied 1-1, the Colonels entered overtime. The Roadrunners controlled the action, but Mersereau and the Colonels’ defense preserved the tie.

The previous weekend the Colonels suffered two conference losses on the road.

The Colonels lost to Stephen F. Austin 8-1 Friday and fell to Sam Houston on Sunday, 2-0.

Mersereau played well on Oct. 9 after making eight saves; however, Stephen F. Austin was able to take 24 shots, 20 of which were on goal. It was Mersereau’s fifth match of the season with eight or more saves.

Freshman forward Jessica Herradon prevented the Colonels from being shut out by finding the back of the net for the fourth time this season. Unfortunately for the Colonels, Herradon’s shot came with less than 20 minutes left to play and was too little, too late.

The Ladyjacks took a 4-0 lead at the half and added four more goals in the second. Seven players found the net for the Ladyjacks, Laura Sadler leading the way with a pair of goals.

The Colonels had chances to win against Sam Houston but failed to capitalize on eight shots and three corner kicks Oct. 11. The Bearkats’ defense held firm, holding the Colonels scoreless with a 2-0 loss.

The Bearkats improved to 3-1-0 in conference play, while the Colonels remain winless in its first three conference contests against some of the league’s better squads.

The Bearkats scored the game’s first point when Kirby Zak and Leah Snelson worked the ball ahead to Emily Jurecka who beat the Colonel defense for her first goal of the year in the fourth minute of the first half.

Following that play, the game’s pace slowed. Sam Houston’s field was drenched from heavy rains and caused sloppy offense in the first half Sunday.

Mersereau denied five shots in the first half to keep the Colonels in the game. Unfortunately, Bearkat goalkeeper Jenny Pence turned away four of the Colonels shots, two of which came from sophomore forward Kandice Champagne, to send the match into the half with the Colonels trailing 1-0.

The Bearkats didn’t take long to find the net again after play resumed as Snelson took a pass from Zak and got through the Colonels’ defense to make it 2-0 Bearkats in the 58th minute.

The Bearkats’ defense held strong as Pence turned away the Colonels shots, making it a 2-0 loss.

The Colonels will go on the road tonight to take on Southland Conference’s defending regular season and tournament champion Texas State Bobcats at 6:30 p.m. in San Marcus, Texas.