Community invited to Family Day and fundraiser

The Stroll for Student-Athlete Scholarships, a fundraiser for Nicholls athletics, will take place Saturday followed by Family Day, featuring local band Treater and Halloween costume contests.The registration for the Stroll for Student-Athlete Scholarships begins at 8:30 Saturday morning and will cost $10 per person. Participants will leave the Student Union at 9:00 and walk around campus before arriving at the Galliano Cafeteria for a free breakfast. Children under ten wearing Halloween costumes will also receive free candy.

This will be the fifth stroll for athletics. Last year’s event was canceled because of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.

Family Day will follow beginning at 10:00 next to John L. Guidry Stadium and will feature the participation of over 30 campus organizations. Treater, a local Cajun-country band, will perform during the event and the Pride of NSU Marching Band will perform during a pep rally along with the Colonelettes, flag team and cheerleaders before the football game against McNeese.

The Family Day committee will hold two Halloween costume contests during the event. Nicholls faculty and staff and all participants 21 will compete for a bottle of wine provided by Sodexho while participants younger than 21 will compete for candy and a trophy.

Participants of Family Day will be able to purchase discounted tickets to the football game.