Weekend road trip leads Colonels to four-game losing streak

Senior outside hitter Manieka Golden returns a serve as freshman outside hitter Jennifer Brandt (10) and sophomore libero Danielle Daigle (3) look on during the October 10th game against McNeese State.
Photo by: Amanda Jefferson

With a three-set shutout and an almost-come-from-behind rally, the Colonels lost two more games, extending their loosing streak to four.The first loss for the Colonels came Thursday in San Marcos, Texas against the defending conference champions, Texas State. The Colonels were looking to snap a two-game losing streak, but failed to do so as they lost three straight sets to the Bobcats, 25-18, 25-11 and 25-15, respectively.

Freshman Jennifer Brandt led the way for the Colonels with seven kills on 24 attempts, while sophomore libero Danielle Daigle had 13 digs. Overall, the Bobcats on offense were too potent for the Colonels, averaging .340 hits as a team.

The Colonels fought through two lead changes as well as five tie scores in the first set. After tying the set up at 15 each, Texas State went on to close out the set at 25-18.

With the first set under their belts, the Bobcats’ offense kept rolling as their hitting increased to .469 as a team. While the Colonels were unable to respond, the Bobcats took control and won the second and third sets consecutively, 25-11 and 25-11, respectively. The loss dropped the Colonels to a 9-13 record and 3-5 in the Southland Conference.

The second game for the Colonels against the Texas-Arlington Mavericks on Saturday was a close one that went into five sets with 14 tie scores and seven lead changes but ultimately ended up as another loss for the Colonels.

Rachel Yezak produced the most offensive production for the Colonels, with 13 kills and just one error on 30 attempts for a .400 hitting percentage. She was one dig shy of a double-double. Meanwhile, senior outside hitter Manieka Golden added 12 more kills, and five other Colonels posted eight or more digs, but all was too little to extend a four-game winning streak on the Maverick’s home court, a streak Nicholls has held since 2003.

The Mavericks started quick by winning the first two sets-25-17 and 25-22, respectively-while hitting .346 between both.

Down two sets to none, the Colonels then rallied back to win the next two sets with the help of four aces, a .348 hitting percentage and 17 Maverick errors despite making seven errors in the fourth set alone.

With the wins, the Colonels then forced a fifth set where they fell behind early. They rallied to within two points, but it was not enough to keep the Mavericks from closing out the game with a 5-1 run.

The Colonels will return home for two rematch games against conference opponents Northwestern State at 7 p.m. Friday and Southeastern Louisiana at 5 p.m Saturday.