Colonels face challege to win in last weekend stretch

Junior midfielder/defender Gillian McCarter (20) takes possession of the ball during the October 16th game against Texas State.  The Colonels lost 3-1.
Photo by: Katelyn Thibodeaux
Junior midfielder/defender Gillian McCarter (20) takes possession of the ball during the October 16th game against Texas State. The Colonels lost 3-1.

The Colonels soccer team’s last road trip of the season did not go as well as hoped falling in both games by five goals.On Sunday, the Bears of Central Arkansas shut out the Colonels with a score of 5-0.

The Bears only allowed nine shots by the Colonels. Six of the Colonels’ nine shots came from sophomore defender Keisha Brown. The Bears were able to deflect all but two of these shots. Kirby Huffstickler, goalkeeper for the Bears, was left to save the remaining two shots.

The Bears’ five goals came from four different players. The first goal came in the 31st minute by the Julie Foerster. Then a pair of goals came from Randi Condley and a team effort of Cory Kaplinger and Melissa Reidel.

Sophomore forward Kandice Champagne’s goal in the 89th minute was not enough to bring the Colonels back against the Demons of Northwestern State on Friday.

The Demons’ Chelsea Gibbs found the back of the net in the 12th minute, starting off the scoring for the game. Four minutes later, the Demons scored everything they would need to in order to record a W.

The Demons were able to find the net once more before the half to send the Colonels trailing 3-0.

The Demons opened up the second half, scoring in just three minutes. The Demons also found the back of the net in the 64th and the 79th minutes to extend the lead 6-0.

In the 89th minute, Champagne scored, avoiding a shut out. The goal was her third of the season; however, it was not soon enough for the Colonels to make a comeback. The Colonels fell 6-1 to the Demons.

The Colonels go into their final homestretch with a record of 4-13-1, 0-6-1 Southland Conference.

The Colonels finish out their season at home on Oct. 30, when the team takes on Lamar at 4 p.m. The Colonels’ last game will be Nov.1 when they host McNeese at 1 p.m.

Sunday’s game will be the 2009 seniors last game in a Colonel uniform. Senior players that will be honored are Jessica Bedford, Alicia Gautreau, Lauren Uffelman and Tara Walsh.