Powell’s Peeves

UGG-lies and improper attire

Winter seems to finally be poking its head around the corner. And with it comes cooler temperatures, nicer days and much less sweat between classes.Winter, however, also brings back something not-so pleasant. Yes, the UGGs and other brands of furry boots are back out. Louisiana is known for its snow-covered terrain and constant need for thick, sheepskin boots. However, wearing these boots with mini-skirts and daisy-dukes is counter-productive and downright ridiculous.

In my experience, I have never heard a male react to a woman in this outfit by saying, “Man, she looks good in that outfit, though it is completely ridiculous and unnecesaary.”

Campus attire is getting out of hand, and I honestly do my best not to mock people who wear ridiculous clothing too much. But UGG boots, and many other forms of boots ranging from cowboy to mesh, make my task very difficult.

You aren’t a cowboy, nor are you an Eskimo; dress like what you are-a southerner who has never seen snow deep enough to merit the use of any of these types of boots.

I often question how ridiculously-dressed students look in the mirror before attending class and say, “Yea, this looks good. I think I’ll wear this.” More importantly, how do people closest to the terribly-dressed individual allow him or her to walk in public in that attire? I think it must be out of spite or jealousy. If you’re a woman and your friend is dressed in a silly outfit, it makes you look all the more appealing and sane.

On another note, the tape that says “Do Not Cross” spanning the gap between Ayo Pool and Stopher Gym is there for a reason. It’s to prevent students from crossing the construction area where crews are working.

The areas of sidewalk, which have been excavated, present a tripping hazard, hence the “Do Not Cross” tape. On multiple occasions, I have seen students ducking under the tape or moving the barricade to walk through this area.

The University has it closed for a reason. It is so students do not walk through the newly dug hole, fall and hurt themselves, thus presenting the student with an opportunity to sue the University.

I say, if you are stubborn enough to walk through a construction zone as opposed to taking two extra minutes to find a new area to travel through, then you deserve to fall in the mud and twist your ankle. And when someone asks you how that happened, you can respond, “I foolishly walked through a construction zone, and though the University gave its best effort to prevent it from happening, I tripped and hurt myself.