Questions and Answers

Senior finishes up career as a Colonel soccer player
Senior midfielder Jessica Bedford takes the ball at the game against McNeese on Sunday.
Photo by: Rudy Vasquez

Northamptonshire, England native and senior midfielder Jessica Bedford plays in her last season as a Colonel.As a junior, Bedford started all 18 matches for the Colonels. She tied for third on the team with two goals and recorded 10 points to tie for fourth on the team. Bedford’s first point of the year came in the Texas Southern game on Aug. 24 in the Colonels’ 5-1 win.

As a sophomore, Bedford started in 19 matches for the Colonels. She posted an impressive two goals on the three penalty shots she faced. She finished the season with six points, two goals and two assists. Out of the seven shots she attempted, six were on goal for a .875 shot on goal percentage.

As a freshman, Bedford made seven starts in the 17 of the 19 matches for the Colonels and had three shot attempts.

Bedford is an all-around athlete who played soccer, hockey, netball, basketball and tennis as a student at Wollaston School. She was awarded captain for soccer, hockey and netball. She was named the Player’s Player of the Year and received the Outstanding Performance of the Year.

Bedford was able to take a few minutes before the team’s last road trip to talk a little bit about herself and her soccer career.

Q: What has been your most memorable moment or your biggest achievement with soccer?

A: “Coming to play at Nicholls was the biggest achievement I have had. Another moment I have had was the game against Troy even though we lost. We played well and came so close.”

Q: What made you want to start playing soccer?

A: “Just watching it on television back home. I love watching it, playing it and going to the games.”

Q: What do you do in your time off?

A: “Hang out with my friends and family when I am home. That’s about it because when I am in season, I just study and play soccer.”

Q: How often are you able to go home?

A: “I go home once a year every Christmas. I can’t go home during the summer because I have to take summer classes to graduate on time.”

Q: What do you plan to do after you graduate?

A: “I am planning to go to graduate school in the United States to study physical therapy, if they will let me in (laughs).”

Q: How do you manage your time between soccer and school?

A: “It is very difficult. I’m stressed out a lot, but I manage to get through it each week. It’s really hard to balance it.”

Q: How was the transition from back home to here?

A: “It was difficult at first. I feel like we had more time on the board back home. It’s more intense and physical here, and I think it might be a bit of a faster game.”

Q: What has been your most memorable team to play on?

A: “It was probably the first team I played on. I played with boys, and I was the only girl. They used to make fun of me.”

Q: What has been your most embarrassing moment in soccer?

A: “The way I run. Everyone makes fun of the way I run. When I watch it on video, I’m so embarrassed. Everyone says that I run like an old grandma.