‘Picks’ determined uncoventionally

I’m not the biggest sports fanatic out there. I love my Saints games each week, and that’s about as good as it gets for me. I’ve just begun to understand the meaning of a first down, and I still can’t tell which team throws a flag, how many flags can be thrown or what the hell a flag is for that matter (except that it’s a not-so-good thing). However, I’ve somehow managed to bypass all of this and crawl my way to first place in The Nicholls Worth’s Sports Picks. I know, I’m shocked too. Even though writing this article will most likely jinx me, consequently knocking me out of my prized position, I’m going to do it anyway, hoping that women out there-or anyone that knows very little about sports-can learn from me.

Aside from our New Orleans Saints, I know nothing about which teams are doing well or not (unless the Saints kicked their butts last week). I don’t memorize records or who has the better offense or defense, nor do I care about the names of all the players on every team that can catch a football and run with it across a grassy football field.

So when I’m forced to guess which teams are going to win in upcoming games, I resort to my female logic.

When the Dolphins played the Falcons in September, I had no idea which team to choose. I know little about both teams. To solve this query, I went for the Falcons. Why? The mascot is much more intimidating. I could not imagine a dolphin fighting anything. In fact, it would be painful for me to watch. Falcons, hands down!

Next up: Virginia Tech vs. Nebraska. Well, I don’t know about anyone else out there, but what the hell is in Nebraska aside from tornados? I would never want to vacation there. Virginia is on the east coast, making for a much nicer getaway. Not to mention, I feel sorry for Virginia Tech after the shooting that occurred a couple years ago. They need all the support they can get. I vote for Virginia Tech.

Cowboys vs. the Chiefs? This one was tough because it reminded me of the typical cowboys and Indians match-up. However, after giving it much thought, I went for the Cowboys. Tony Romo. Enough said.

Finally, the Steelers vs. the Vikings. I could not resort to my usual debate of which mascot is more intimidating. Instead, I used my shopping etiquette and reasoning. As a frequent QVC viewer and an ABC catalog reader, I realized the Steelers sell much more merchandise than the Vikings do. Thus, it makes sense they are more popular. Popularity comes with success. Success means winning games. Therefore Steelers is my final answer.

As for LSU and the Saints-I vote for them every week. No questions asked.