First black faculty members celebrate unity on campus with gala

The first black faculty members of Nicholls, along with students and other faculty, celebrated Black History month at the Unity Gala Feb. 29 sponsored by Students Educators and LeaderS. The gala, an event meant to bring unity and diversity to Nicholls, took place in the Cotillion Ballroom.

Keynote speaker, Ida Bush, the first black faculty member at Nicholls, spoke candidly of her experience on the college campus in the ’70s.

Bush referred to her experience as being somewhat turbulent in those times. But through it all, she said she believed in doing the impossible.

“The height of your success is determined by the depth of your belief,” Bush said.

Bush said she allowed herself to be used as a tool to help others on campus.

She is responsible for organizing countless organizations on campus, many of which are still in existence today, such as Omega Psi Phi and many others

Bush said she believes helping others will ultimately benefit the person providing the help.

“I believe you can get anything you want in life if you help others get what they want,” Bush said.

Bush said she was impressed by the presentation given by Precious Jewels, a group of women on campus based on spirituality and principles of the Bible.

“When I heard the three young ladies speak of their group and what they are trying to accomplish, I was very impressed,” Bush said.

Bush even compared the group of young women to the Charming Ladies, a group in which Bush is a member.

The Charming Ladies Club offers a scholarship each year to a girl who shows financial need, to the college of her choice, Bush said.

“One of the reasons why I joined the club was because of what they do for civic organizations and for young women in our community,” Bush said.

There was also a wall dedicated to influential black leaders such as, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Maya Angelou and Rosa Parks along with a Black History Month engagement calendar with different achievements by black people.

“Do you believe that you are designed for accomplishments, engineered for success and endowed with the seeds of greatness?” Bush asked.

“Believing these things you never look down or up at anyone.”

Achievement awards were given to eight students. Patrika Williby, communicative disorders senior from Metairie, Stacey Ann Smith, psychology senior from Jamaica; Johnathan Kerry, government junior from Thibodaux; Faydra Martin, health care management junior from Jeanerette; D’Lane Edward, nursing senior from Vacherie; Camille Blackburn, accounting senior from Thibodaux; Takerra Ellis, agricultural business junior from Gray and Kim Jackson, sociology senior from Thibodaux.

The Diversity Achievement award was given to Kali Boudreaux, English Education senior.

There were also six faculty/staff honorees, including Angela Alexander, Alfred Delahaye, Ida Bush, Katherine Rose, Eula Brinkley and Eva Jacobs.