Washington steps up to be the feature running back

Nicholls running back Marcus Washington running up the middle at last Thursday’s practice.

Since the beginning of the Nicholls Colonel football season, sophomore running back Marcus Washington has been filling in for injured Second Team All-Southland Conference Player, Jesse Turner.

Washington of Foley, Ala. completed his freshmen season in which he ranked third on the team with 251 yards rushing and an average of 5.1 yards per carry. He played in all 11 games and even started one, with his best game against Northwestern State, where he rushed for 90 yards on 19 carries.

He is now the team’s tailback because of an injury suffered by Turner during spring practice.  

“I never saw myself as taking the job from Turner. I just saw it as an opportunity to just fill in while he’s away,” Washington said.

So far this season, Washington totaled 54 rushing yards and a touchdown against Evangel, 46 yards against Western Michigan, 95 yards and a touchdown against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and ran for 32 yards on 11 carries against Northwestern State last week.

Washington said that he and Turner have continued to maintain a strong relationship throughout the summer as well as this season.

“We are all like a brotherhood on this team, especially among the running backs. We all give each other advice on how we need to get better,” Washington said.

Against Northwestern last week, Turner returned from his injury. He played a small amount of time with Washington still carying the bulk of the load by getting most of the carries.

“Turner’s most important advice to me when he knew that he would be missing a few games was that I just had to step up and be a leader on this football team,” Washington said. “He wanted me to make sure I’m the first to every rep, drill and stretch. I’m ready for him to come back.”