Departments merge to benefit students

The university studies and general studies programs will combine under University College to provide benefits, such as more faculty to advise the general studies students, from the merger.Pat Gabilondo, associate professor of general studies, said the University will be merging the two departments so they can improve both of them. “Over 90 percent of the general studies seniors were not happy with the term ‘general studies’ due to the negative connotation that comes with the term.” Twenty-five percent of the students in the fall 2008 honors program were general studies majors.

“Entering freshmen will still be entering University College as usual,” Gabilando said. University Prep will still be a requirement for entering freshmen.

Gabilondo said students tend to come to the general studies program due to financial pressures, time constraints and problems accessing required courses; however most students choose it because they can use it to design their own degree.

There will be many benefits for the students currently within the general studies program. Gabilondo said there would be more advisors with experience in more diverse fields, a stronger curriculum and more service learning opportunities that are for resume building.

“The merging is a really exciting thing, its something that we have been working for, for a long time,” Gabilondo said. “Our students really deserve this program, and we want to give it to them.”

Gabilondo said there will be more opportunities for university studies instructors to teach not only University Prep but some general studies classes too. With more faculty members to teach classes, the new general studies program faculty is going to try to offer classes such as Internet studies and more human service classes.

Students with minors in more than one discipline have no center for developing interdisciplinary initiatives. Merging the general studies and university studies programs could help facilitate that.

“For the students that are currently in general studies, it is going to be the best for them,” Gabilondo said. “We’re going to be able to strengthen the curriculum to be able to provide more options for them.