Athlete of the Week

Sophomore guard goes from bench sub to starting player
Sophomore guard Chris Iles dribbles down the court during the Dec. 8th game against Southern University of New Orleans.
Photo by: Jamison Taylor

Sophomore guard Chris Iles has gone from being the first sub off of the bench as a freshman to a starting guard for the Colonels men’s basketball team.Iles’ average time spent on the court shows his influence on the team as well as his talent. Following teammate junior forward/guard Anatoly Bose, Iles averages 30.4 minutes per game, placing him second on the team for time spent on the court.

Iles’ statistics show that his time on the court is well spent as he finds himself tied for third in the Southland Conference for assists, averaging 4.0 assists per game.

Iles has a .372 field goal percentage landing him third on the team for his shooting average of 9.8 points per game following Bose and sophomore forward Fred Hunter. Iles is also a .750 percent free throw shooter making 36 of 48 tries so far this season.

Iles’ career-high scoring game came Saturday when he posted 24 points in the Colonels double overtime heartbreaker against Northwestern State.

Iles was able to take time out before weights to talk about school, basketball and a little bit of lagniappe.

Q: How do you manage studying and playing basketball?

A: “I just try to communicate with my teachers, study on road trips and keep up with Blackboard.”

Q: What is your most memorable moment that you have had involving basketball?

A: “It was in third grade going to Nationals. It was my first time flying on a plane, my first time being away from home, and we were sixth in the nation.”

Q: What has been your most embarrassing moment?

A: “My most embarrassing moment was air-balling in a high school game and walking into a glass door.”

Q: What has been you favorite team or coach to play for?

A: “My favorite team was last year’s team for Coach Piper.”

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?

A: “I see myself overseas playing basketball, ideally for Spain because that’s what I want my profession to be.”

Q: What are some of the goals you have set for this season?

A: “I would like to be top five in the conference in assists and our team make the tournament.”

Q: What do you tend to do on your time off?

A: “I have to study. When I’m not, I usually kick it with Fred [Hunter], sometimes on Facebook or Skype.