The Olympic Games

“Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up, it’s bobsleigh time.”This is probably a common phrase that people think of when they hear the word “bobsleigh.”

Made famous by the movie “Cool Runnings,” the Olympic sport of bobsleigh is a favorite for many people.

Bobsleigh is one of the three sliding events held in the Winter Olympics. Bobsleigh involves teams of two or four who ride in a sled down a steep and twisting track of ice.

The event begins with a “push start” in which the team pushes the sled for a short distance and then quickly piles into the sled. A driver maneuvers the sled down the track through a series of twists and turns as quickly as possible.

In Olympic competition, men compete in two- and four-man bobsleigh, and women compete in a two-person format.

Each team takes four trips down the track, and the teams with the three lowest combined times receive medals.

This is one of my favorite Olympic sports. What could be more fun than riding in a sled down a track at speeds that top out at more than 80 miles per hour?

This may seem like a simple sport, but it is actually really difficult. The drivers must study the track to find the quickest route or fastest line down the track. The other members of the team must stay as aerodynamic as possible to ensure a fast time.

Bobsleigh events begin Feb. 20, with a two-man competition. The women’s bobsleigh begins Feb. 23. Four-man competition begins Feb. 26.