Men’s basketball team maintains home winning streak against McNeese State

The Colonels men’s basketball team kept their home game winning streak alive when they defeated the Cowboys of McNeese State 63-61 Wednesday night in Stopher Gym. The Colonels were led by junior guard/forward Anatoly Bose who

recorded his second straight double-double with 23 points and 11 rebounds.

Also aiding in the Colonels win was sophomore point guard Chris Iles. Iles posted 15 points and picked up three assists.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Colonels were led by junior guard Kellan Carter who recorded half of the Colonels steals having four of eight.

Another aid in the Colonels win came from the Cowboys. Out of 16 free throw attempts, the Cowboys were only able to capitalize on five, leaving 11 possible points the Cowboys could have had ultimately breaking the Colonels record of being unbeaten on their home court.

The Cowboys started off the game with their largest lead going 8-0, however, after a time out, the Colonels came back and posted an 11-2 run for an 11-10 lead over the Cowboys.

The Colonels went into the locker room at the half after a three point lead and shooting 50 percent from the field.

With 6:10 left in the game, the Colonels found themselves with a six point lead, however, the Cowboys would go on to score nine unanswered points to take 59-56 lead with 3:22 left.

Only nine points would be scored for the remainder of the game, seven of which came from the Colonels.

After multiple fouls and missed and made free throws, the Colonels found themselves up by two with less than 30 seconds remaining. After a missed layup by the Cowboys, Bose got the rebound and drove down the lane to get fouled.

Bose, a .754 percent free throw shooter, missed both with time remaining on the clock for the Cowboys to not score, tie or take the game.

The Colonels were able to force pressure on the Cowboys and force a travel as the last seconds ran off the clock.

The Colonels were able to protect their home winning streak as well as improve to 7-13 overall and 2-3 in Southland Conference play.

The Colonels will return to Stopher Gym on Saturday when they take on in-state conference rival Southeastern Louisiana. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.