Lead roles for ‘Diviners’ not exclusive to Nicholls

Christopher Ropp, pre-law sophomore from Metairie, and Birte Marthinsen, mass communication freshman from Houma, audition for the upcoming Nicholls Players production, The Diviners, Jan. 25th in Talbot Auditorium.
Photo by: Courtney Gardere
Christopher Ropp, pre-law sophomore from Metairie, and Birte Marthinsen, mass communication freshman from Houma, audition for the upcoming Nicholls Players production, “The Diviners,” Jan. 25th in Talbot Auditorium.

The Nicholls Players’ fall production, “The Diviners,” will be held on March 18-21, even though the cast has not been finalized and many of the characters are played by non-Nicholls students. “The Diviners” is about a young, mentally-impaired boy named Buddy Layman, played by Treva Breaux, an eighth-grade student at E. D. White High School, who is afraid of water because of a past accident. Buddy Layman has the ability to divine water, which allows him to discover water. He also has the ability to sense when it is going to rain.

Stanley Coleman, assistant professor of mass communication, said that some of the many aspects that are in the play are faith, life, spirituality and death.

“The play is about a young boy and an ex-preacher who work together to find themselves,” Julia Chauvin, freshman from Morgan City, said.

” We have a number of new faces of people who have not been in plays at Nicholls before, that have tried out and got a part. We are really happy about having the new people on board,” Coleman said.

Stephanie Alloto, freshman from Norco, plays the role of Goldie Short. Alloto said that it did not bother her that non-Nicholls students were playing lead roles in the play. “Whoever gets the part, should deserve the part. I do not see a problem with a non-Nicholls student getting a lead role even if they are not a student,” she said.

Julia Chauvin plays the role of Luella Bennett. “The Nicholls players is a community thing, it is not just for the Nicholls State University students.” Chauvin said that it also does not bother her that some of the lead roles did not go to Nicholls students. “At the end of the play, no matter what school we come from, we are all like family,” Chauvin said.

“My character is the comedy relief for the play,” Sarah Zeringue, freshman from Schriever who, plays the part of Darlene Henshaw, said. She said that she was afraid they would not be able to find the father for the play, but that they are praying they are able to find an actor for the role. “The people that are currently playing the parts work perfect,” Zeringue said.

“We are still looking for someone to play one of the characters in the play.” Coleman said, “That person should possess a certain amount of charm and stage presence.” Coleman said once he finds another actor, the play casting process will be complete.

If you are interested in trying out for a role in the play, contact Stanley Coleman at (985) 448-4047.