Haiti native collects donations

A Nicholls graduate and Haiti native is hosting a campus donation drive this week to support victims of the recent earthquake, which claimed tens of thousands of lives earlier this month.Gael Cleophat, computer-information systems graduate from Port-au-Prince, is collecting donations at the entrance of the Student Union to support Haiti relief efforts. Campus organizations including NAACP, Student Programming Association and several Greek organizations are assisting in Cleophat’s effort, called “Let’s Help Haiti.”

The groups have requested clothes, first-aid supplies, food, diapers and anything else people can spare. All monetary donations will be given to the Red Cross, while supplies will be sent directly to Haiti.

Chanelle Claiborne, education senior from Port Allen, said the effort has already received “tons” of donations from students as well as the local community and that any donation is welcome. “Whatever it is you have, you can donate because they have nothing,” Claiborne said.

Donations will be accepted from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., but supplies can be dropped off after hours in the Student Life Office. The drive ends Friday.

Cleophat said he started the effort because he did not see anyone else in the Houma-Thibodaux area running a local drive. “I thought we could do something on campus,” Cleophat said. “So far, it’s been pretty good.”

The Nicholls chapter of the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship has pledged to send $1,000 to support the Haiti relief effort. The organization collected donations in the Student Union over the last two weeks and will collect offerings during its service Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. in LeBijou Theater. Donations will also be accepted in Chi Alpha’s office in South Babington Hall.

Chris Buckel, Chi Alpha campus pastor, said the donations have been going well and that Chi Alpha is encouraging everyone to donate. “We need more people because the need is so great right now.