New head coach adds two assistants to staff

Nicholls’ newly appointed head football coach welcomed two new assistants to his coaching staff Friday afternoon. Charlie Stubbs, head football coach, named Justin Anderson and Bobby April Jr. to the Nicholls State Football coaching staff.

“We are extremely excited to add both of these young and energetic coaches to our staff,” Stubbs said. “Justin and Bobby are both young and have experienced success at prior places and are great additions.”

Anderson has held the offensive assistant coach position at Brigham Young University for the last two years. In addition, Anderson was a former wide receiver for the Cougars and was a part of the 2001 Mountain Conference Champion team.

Anderson’s wide-receiving background will help him as he takes on the position of coaching the wide receivers and tight ends under the guidance of Stubbs.

“Justin is extremely organized and makes it a point to emphasize the importance of education and character to student-athletes,” Stubbs said. “He is also an excellent coach.”

April comes to Nicholls with not only collegiate experience but also professional experience and ties.

He spent the spring of 2002-2004 interning for the National Football League while his father, Nicholls alumnus Bobby April, is the current special teams coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles.

April’s background includes serving as a defensive student assistant for the University of Louisiana-Lafayette, a graduate assistant at Tulane and most recently at Portland State under the guidance of Jerry Glanville.

“Bobby comes highly recommended by former NFL head coach Jerry Glanville,” Stubbs said. “He has ties to this area, and like Anderson, brings a lot of positive energy to the program.”

April will return to Louisiana to take over special teams and safeties for the Colonels.

Anderson and April join current coaches Jeremy Atwell and Dustin Gisclair.