Women’s basketball loses to Lady Demons

With a combined total of 48 points from junior Ricshanda Bickham and freshman Alisha Allen, the Colonels could not prevail over the Lady Demons falling 69-63 on Saturday afternoon. The Colonels came out in the second half and matched the 38 points from the Lady Demons, however, the six point deficit at the half could not be overcome.

“We did a lot of things right today, and played with the level of intensity that I expect from the team,” head coach DoBee Plaisance said. “Our last two games have been close, and it comes down to the small things and those are things that we continue to improve on.”

The Colonels allowed the Demons to captivate on a 10 point lead with 2:22 left in the game after having a 19-9 run in the first eight minutes of the second half.

Despite holding the Lady Demons without a shot from the field and only foul shots, the Colonels simply could not come back to take the game.

One thing the Colonels did take was the rebounding advantage. The Colonels were able to out-rebound the Lady Demons 41-30 with junior Chelsea McNamee with a career high of 10 and junior Jamia Akins with a career high of eight.

The Colonels will look to capture their first conference win when they take on the Cowgirls of McNeese State on Wednesday at 5 p.m. The men’s basketball team will follow in the double-header.