Students may walk without degree

Graduates proceed out of Stopher Gym after the fall commencement ceremony December 12th.
Photo by: Bridget Mire

Nicholls is changing Spring Commencement to Saturday, May 15, even though students’ grades will not be due until the following Monday, May 17.Essentially, Nicholls is eliminating the week between final exams and commencement. Thus, students who failed to meet the criteria to receive a diploma may walk but not receive a degree.

Carroll Falcon, provost and vice president of academic affairs, said students could walk at commencement without receiving a degree even with the ceremony held after final grades are due. Falcon said, “If a student has already bought his cap and gown, they can still walk because it is usually impossible to detect.”

Miriam Davis, psychology senior from Youngsville, said she would be so caught up in the moment that it would not be her main concern if the person next to her was being awarded with a degree he did not earn.

Rebecca Plaisance, freshman from Houma, said, “If the student has a job lined up after graduation and the employer is under the impression that the employee will have a diploma, but come the Monday after commencement, they are told they did not actually graduate, what will happen?”

Lauren Miller, education junior from Berwick, said, “I think it’s crazy. If I was graduating and my whole family came watch me walk across that stage and celebrate my graduation, and then come to find out two days later I didn’t pass, I would be livid. Not only livid, embarrassed.”

Lawrence Briggs, government senior from Jefferson, questioned how the new schedule would affect the students that are borderline Summa and Magna Cum Laude.

Falcon said this was one of the only concerns that came up, but other schools, such as McNeese State University, do this for their commencement.