Lady Colonels soccer team sets new record

A school record was set by the Lady Colonels Soccer Team Friday, after they defeated McNeese State, 3-0. The victory, Nicholls State’s third of the season, established a school record for wins in a season. Junior Candice O’Meallie, who found the vack of the net twice, became the school’s all-time leading goal scorer with six career tallies to her credit. Nicholls State opened the scoring just 1:49 into the match as O’Meallie finished a corner kick that was sent by Melissa Boneau. Only two minutes later, O’Meallie connected on a direct kick to give her team a 2-0 lead. Junior Tyna Wells took a feed from senior Tracy Passafiume early in the second half to close the scoring. Frshman Lindsay Bartlett recorded five saves on her way to the first shutout of her career.

“I talked to my team about coming out early, and putting some pressure on,” Nicholls State coach Jim Zakel said. “Scoring two quick goals was huge. We let up a little bit in the second half, but we were able to get the win. Anytime you get a shutout in conference play, you have something to be proud of.”

The Lady Colonels traveled to Nacogdoches, Texas the following Sunday to play the Stephen F. Austin Lady Jacks. Only two days after a huge victory, the Lady Colonels fell short to the Lady Jacks, 6-0.

The Lady Colonels attempted four shots, two which were scored by Sabrina Bledsoe, and the other two by Angelle Hotard, and Nicole Matuska. Freshman goalkeeper Linday Bartlett managed eight saves. The Lady Jacks took took on 31 shots.

The Lady Colonels will take on Stephen F. Austin here once again on Saturday at 3 p.m.