University hires new head football coach

Charlie Stubbs
Photo by: Sports Information
Charlie Stubbs

The Nicholls Athletic Department announced the new head coach of the Colonel football team on Tuesday afternoon. Former University of Central Missouri offensive coordinator Charlie Stubbs will bring his 31 years of coaching experience to Nicholls, pending approval by the University of Louisiana System, where he will be the ninth coach in program history.

Stubbs has 14 years of experience working with the offense, six of which he served as an assistant coach.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to be here at Nicholls, and I am ready to face the challenges ahead. We have a lot to do in a little amount of time, and one of those things is to get to know all of my returning players. I’m looking forward to meeting those young men,” Stubbs said prior to his press conference.

Stubbs started his coaching career as a member of the coaching staff in 1983 at his alma matter of Brigham Young University where he obtained his bachelor of science degree in 1978 and masters in physical education in 1984. That same year, BYU was named the Division I National Champions.

Since 1984, Stubbs has served as the offensive coordinator of the following schools: Oregon State University (1985-1991), University of Memphis (1994-95), University of Tennessee-Martin (1995-96), University of Nevada-Las Vegas (1996-97), University of Alabama (1997-2001), University of Tulsa (2002-07), University of Louisville (2007) and University of Central Missouri (2007-09).

Stubbs’ recent experience at UCM found him finishing first in the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletic Association conference passing offense in his two seasons as the offensive coordinator. In 2009, UCM finished with an 8-3 record and a second place finish in conference.

“I am very pleased to be able to submit Charlie Stubbs’ name to the Board of Supervisors for approval as Nicholls State University’s new football coach. Having been the offensive coordinator for universities in major football conferences, Coach Stubbs clearly possesses the necessary credentials to advance our program to a highly competitive level in the Southland Conference. I am pleased to welcome Charlie and his wife to the Nicholls family,” University President Stephen Hulbert said.

Stubbs is also a two-time published author with his books “Wide Open Football” and “Developing an Explosive Offense.” Stubbs’ third book “101 Special Plays and Playmakers” will be released later this month.