From worst to first; men’s basketball picked to finish on top

Junior guard/forward Anatoly Bose prepares to throw the ball back into the game during the Nov. 5th game against Delta State.
Photo by: Rudy Vasquez

The men’s basketball team went from worst to first when the team was picked pre-season to finish first in the Southland Conference after last season’s last place prediction.Last season the Colonels proved the critics wrong when they went 20-11 overall record, 12-4 in conference placing and a second place seed in the tournament. The Colonels made it to the semi-final game against the University of Texas-San Antonio. Former graduate Ryan Bathie’s three point shot was not enough to advance the Colonels to the final game, resulting in a 57-55 loss.

Despite losing a heartbreaking game, the Colonels were able to make a name for themselves and are predicted to place first in pre-season polls.

“I think, when you go back over the seven years I’ve been here, we’ve always been picked last or second to last in all these pre-season publications,” head coach J.P. Piper said. “The fact that we’re now being picked first is a little bit exciting, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Those rankings don’t mean we are guaranteed of winning any games. I think it’s an indication that some people outside of our program are beginning to notice that there are some positive things going on.”

The Colonels will enter the season without two standout players from last season-Bathie and Justin Payne. The Colonels look to returning, transfer and new players to step up and compete.

“I’ve been telling people that I think we will be better but different,” Piper said. “I don’t think you can replace what Justin or Ryan brought to our team. They were two very special and unique players for our program,” Piper said. “We will be a different team, but I think we can be better defensively and more efficient offensively. I love our personnel, and I think we’ll have greater depth. There won’t be a Ryan Bathie or a Justin Payne on the floor. The things they did we can’t just replace, but I still feel the program has taken a step forward, and we will put a better team on the floor than we did last year.”

The Colonels will welcome three standout junior college transfers to the team: junior forward Justin Ayers from Fresno, Calif.; junior forward Kenny Franklin Jr. from Shreveport; and junior guard Maurice Foster from New Orleans. All three of these players made their debut 98-83 win on Nov. 5 in the exhibition game against Delta State University. Not only did they all make their debut in the game, but these teammates also share one goal: make it to the conference tournament.

“The goal for them is getting to the NCAA Tournament,” Piper said. “They are highly motivated about trying to do that. They understand that as good as last year was, we still came up short of our ultimate goal, which was to play in the NCAA Tournament. So, there has been great focus and attention placed on doing more and doing better than last year.”

Standout returning players will be junior guard/forward Anatoly Bose, who was an All-SLC selection, junior guard Kellan Carter, who finished 18th in the nation with 2.4 steals, and freshman forward Fred Hunter, who was named freshman of the year.

Despite first place in pre-season polls, the Colonels know that the end results may not be exactly the same.

“When they were picking us last, it didn’t mean anything. The fact that they are picking us first doesn’t mean anything,” Piper said. “We still have to show up and play every night and take care of the product on the floor. If we do that, we’ll be fine.”

The Colonels’ next home game will be Jan. 3 against the Wolfpack of Loyola University of New Orleans. Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m.