Volleyball clinches spot in tournament after going 1-1

Sophomore right side Rachel Yezak tries to tip the ball past the opponents defense during the Nov. 7th game against Texas A&M Corpus Christi.
Photo by: Jamison Taylor
Sophomore right side Rachel Yezak tries to tip the ball past the opponent’s defense during the Nov. 7th game against Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

Nicholls women’s volleyball team clinched a spot in the Southland Conference tournament with a 3-2 win over McNeese State University Friday night.The Colonels, needing just one win to secure a spot in the tournament, slugged it out with the Cowgirls. The game went five sets, and the Colonels prevailed.

After making the 2008 conference tournament last season, this marks the first time in Nicholls’ history that the Colonels have qualified for the league championship tournament in consecutive seasons.

Nicholls entered the weekend tied for seventh in conference with McNeese.

Last Friday’s 3-0 win against McNeese gives Nicholls a 2-0 sweep of the Cowgirls and a head-to-head tiebreaker.

Senior outside hitter Manieka Golden had a match-high of 26 kills and 15 digs, while sophomore outside hitter Rachel Yezak had 13 kills and 14 digs to help elevate the Colonels over the Cowgirls.

Meanwhile, sophomore libero Danielle Daigle averaged 5.0 digs/set with 25 digs on the night. Freshman middle blocker Jasmine Harris had a hand in four of the Colonels’ seven blocks, and senior setter Amy Whitehead posted a career-high 64 assists.

The Colonels lost Saturday against Stephen F. Austin 3-0 which placed Nicholls seventh overall in the conference tournament. Nicholls was led by freshman outside hitter Jenifer Brandt, who had a total of seven kills on 22 attempts while recording just two attack errors.

Nicholls needed to win or have University of Texas-San Antonio lose to move up to the No. 6 spot in the tournament.

With UTSA beating the University of Texas-Arlington 3-0, Nicholls will be the seventh seed and take on the No. 2 Sam Houston State.

The first serve between the Bearkats and Colonels is scheduled for 4 p.m. Friday at UTSA’s Convocation Center in San Antonio, Texas. The Colonels will try to rebound from a 3-0 loss at the hands of the Bearkats Oct. 16.

Follow the Colonels with live stats and streaming video for every match of the tournament at www.southland.org. The Southland Conference Television Network will broadcast the championship match. Check your local listings for station information.