Colonel football captures first conference win of season

Senior defensive end Zac Reddix (90) and junior linebacker Yashua Willis (44) take down a Northwestern State player during Saturdays game.  The Colonels won 28-21.
Photo by: Bridget Mire
Senior defensive end Zac Reddix (90) and junior linebacker Yashua Willis (44) take down a Northwestern State player during Saturday’s game. The Colonels won 28-21.

Twenty-one seniors suited up for their last home game in a Colonel uniform Saturday when they took a 28-21 victory over the Demons of Northwestern State University.The seniors were honored before the game for their hard work and dedication to the team. The seniors honored were defensive back Tyson Andrus, defensive back Dominique Daniels, linebacker Jarrod Fanguy, offensive lineman Aric Flowers, offensive lineman Josh Green, fullback Trey Hopson, linebacker Kyle Hughes, long snapper Drew Knight, running back Marlin Meeks, defensive lineman Quenton Mims, defensive back Jordan Nevels, defensive lineman Henry Perez, defensive back Jordan Ogletree, defensive end Zac Reddix, wide receiver Antonio Robinson, kicker Ross Schexnayder, defensive back Jamal Simmons, linebacker Garrick Spain, kicker Kyle Tizzard, running back A.J. Williams and linebacker Yashua Willis.

“These seniors have really given this program everything they have through the years that they have been here,” head coach Jay Thomas said. “I expect them to play hard on Saturday, and I’m pretty sure the younger guys will rally around them.”

After coming off of a close loss to Stephen F. Austin Nov. 7, the Colonels came out and fought until the last minute of the game for their first conference win of the season.

Robinson was able to record a career-best 82-yard reception as well as 115 yards on two receptions and a touchdown on the day.

Williams was also able to score, rushing 94 yards, recording nine carries and running 65 yards on the game.

Spain was able to record nine tackles, seven solo, as well as a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

“That was a big-time momentum swing for us,” Thomas said. “Garrick Spain’s strip immediately followed by A.J. Williams’ run proved to be the difference in the game. Our seniors did their part today, and the underclassmen pitched in as well.”

Despite the attention on the seniors for senior day, true freshman wide receiver Mike Barba stood out in the game, recording two touchdown receptions, one for 64 yards, and had three catches on the day for a total of 84 yards.

Redshirt freshman quarterback LaQuintin Caston had a career-high of 197 passing yards by completing five out of eight passes.

The Colonels hope to continue their success in tonight’s game against Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond at 6 p.m.

However, the Colonels will not be going to the conference playoffs this year. The last time the Colonels made it to the playoffs was in 2005.