Lady Colonels Volleyball win two matches, drop close one

After winning the second and the third game of the volleyball match against McNeese State (4-5), the Colonels dropped both the fourth and the fifth games on its home court to lose the match to the Cowgirls. Jana James was the offensive leader for the Colonels (2-7), as she notched 19 kills. Senior Shanda Johnson was close behind James offensively with 14 kills.

Katie Leymaster earned 28 assists in the loss, while Jenn Blair collected 14 digs for the night.

“We need to work on playing with our eyes open,” Lady Colonel head coach M.J. Engstrom said. “We need to work on playing together.”

The Colonels will take on Southwest Texas Friday evening in San Marcos, Texas.

Lady Colonels beat Northwestern State

The Lady Colonel volleyball team defeated Northwestern State, 3-2, in conference action last Friday as 231 fans watched in Stopher Gym.

With the match tied at two, Nicholls (1-6, 1-1) and the Lady Demons (3-6, 1-1) went to a fifth and deciding game.

Amy Koziol recorded a kill, with the score tied at 14, which brought her team one point away from victory. On the ensuing play, senior Jen Weisman served an ace, giving the Lady Colonels the victory.

Statistically, Shanda Johnson led Nicholls with 24 kills, while Cheri White recorded 18. Junior Katie Leymaster had 55 assists and tied for the team high in aces, with three, along with freshman Jillian Able and Johnson.

Northwestern State’s Christina Stone had 15 kills while Aime Garcia added 12. Cathy Herring led the Lady Demons in assists with 22, while Stone postyed a team-high of three aces.

“We changed our lineup for this game,” said Lady Colonel head coach M.J. Engstrom. “The team was swinging aggressively for one of the first times this season.”

Lady Colonels win again

The Lady Colonel volleyball team beat Louisiana-Monroe (0-9, 0-3) three out of four games to take the match on last Saturday afternoon.

Leading the attack for Nicholls was senior Shanda Johnson, who notched 22 kills and 16. Senior Jana James added another 16 kills and three aces to help defeat the Lady Indians. Junior Katie Leymaster delivered 40 assists for the afternoon.