Lady Colonels fall to LSU, SLU

Lady Colonels conference game to LSU Nicholls freshman forward Melissa Bonneau scored in the 72nd minute of the game, as the Lady Colonel soccer team lost, 6-1, to Southeastern Louisiana in Southland Conference play.

The Colonels (1-4, 0-2) were trailing 4-0 at half-time, and they allowed a fifth goal at the 49:20 mark before Bonneau took a feed from sophomore Roxana Gonzalez.

SLU’s (3-2, 1-1) Cory Cochrane scored the last goal of the game about seven minutes later.

Freshman goal tender Lindsay Bartlett played the whole game for the Lady Colonels, as she recorded eight saves. Bonneau, Sabrina Bledsoe and Brooke Heffler took Nicholls three shots on the goal.

The Lady Colonels will return to action Friday afternoon when they will host current Southland Conference front-runner Louisiana Monroe at 4 p.m.

Lady Colonels fall to LSU

Last week, the Lady Colonel soccer team (1-3) fell to LSU 3-0, in non-conference play, Friday evening in Baton Rouge.

The Lady Tigers (3-2) scored a goal in the first half and two in the second half of the game.

“Our kids fought hard and kept up the intensity for all 90 minutes,” Lady Colonel soccer coach, Jim Zakel, said.

Nicholls freshman goalkeeper Lindsay Bartlett played the entire contest as she recorded nine saves. Bartlett earned the start in place of fellow freshman Amy Rothe, who missed the game with a shoulder injury.

Freshmen Melissa Bonneau and Sabrina Bledsoe launched the Lady Colonel’s only two shots of the contest.

“LSU is a strong program year in and year out,” Zakel said. “The good thing about playing these kinds of games is that they prepare us for our conference.”