Stubbs makes changes to football staff for next year

Nicholls State football head coach Charlie Stubbs looks to add more unity to his coaching staff with the additions of three new members.
Stubbs brought in Steve Adams to be his new special teams coordinator and coach the safeties, Freddie Banks to coach the cornerbacks, and Brandon Nowlin to fill the tight ends coaching position.  Stubbs promoted former tight ends coach Matt Clark to offensive line coach.
The kids need to be coached under Stubbs’ philosophy, according to Stubbs, and he feels that he is adding three great teachers who will share his coaching philosophy.
Adams, who comes to Nicholls from Concord University, has a past with Stubbs. At the University of Louisville, Adams and Stubbs were on the coaching staff together. Before joining Concord, Adams had stints with Purdue University, Western Kentucky University and the University of Louisville.
“What I wanted to do was get Coach (Jeremy) Atwell another veteran coach on the defensive side of the ball to help share in the way of exchanging ideas and putting together new game plans,” Stubbs said.
Stubbs feels that he did so with the addition of Adams. Stubbs then became super impressed with a relocating Banks. Stubbs said that Banks’ wife works as an athletic trainer at Southern University at New Orleans. Stubbs was “super impressed” with Banks and hired him to coach his defensive backs.
“He comes to us from Minnesota Morehead, and he also played at North Dakota State, which is a powerful team in our division of football. So he knows what winning is all about.”
Bringing in staff members and players who know how to win is a big emphasis for Stubbs.
“They know what it takes as a player and a coach. I think winning breeds winning, and that’s what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to bring in successful kids as much as possible, and bringing in a guy like Banks will help this program.”
Taking over tight end duties for the Colonels next season will be former Morgan City High School head coach and athletic director Brandon Nowlin. Stubbs wants to add a nice blend of local and nonlocal coaches to his coaching staff, so bringing in Nowlin is a big deal to him.
“He has experience coaching in the Southland Conference at Central Arkansas, and he should help us out a lot in the recruiting efforts,” Stubbs said.
 That position opened up for the Colonels when Stubbs felt the need to promote Clark to offensive line coach, after he impressed Stubbs by handling several duties such as being the academic liaison last season.
“His true love is with the line, and I knew that initially,” Stubbs said. “What really got me to interview him and promote him was seeing him go the extra mile with everything I gave him. He made everything special. I only envision that he’s going to take it to the next level. It became evident to me that I didn’t need to look anywhere else.”
Stubbs hopes that these new changes will band his coaching staff closer together, because his tagline “band of brothers” is for the entire team, not just for the players.
“I want us as a staff to be totally tied together,” Stubbs said. “It wasn’t divisive last year, but it could have been better. I want them to realize that we’re all in this together.”