Campus construction projects move along

Numerous construction projects are continuing across campus. One of the major projects is an addition to East Elkins Hall, which will double the size of the building. The addition is expected to be completed by next August, and is priced at $1.4 million.

Mike Davis, director of purchasing, said the addition was necessary in order to give better services to the students in financial aid and other departments in the building.

“I think this is a good thing, because it is becoming a little difficult for the people in that building to provide services to the students. By increasing the size of the building, it makes it easier for our personnel to serve the students. That building over there is very crowded and difficult to operate, so we’re very excited about the addition,” Davis said.

Two current projects near completion are the new parking lot near Gouaux Hall and a relocation of a pump station between the married students’ dorm and the soccer field.

The parking lot was near completion but was delayed due to technical difficulties.

“The parking lot should be finished very shortly. The rain delayed everything during the summer and pushed everything back. Then during the last week, our architect was doing one of his inspections and noticed a problem in one of the pores in the concrete, so we had to break it all out and repour it. Now the new pour needs to cure, and then they’re putting up the last parking headers. Then it will be ready to go,” Davis said.

The pump station was located just south of Ayo Hall, but will now be relocated between the soccer field and the married students’ dorm.

“That pump house, besides looking bad, was beginning to sink a little bit, so we’re moving it to a better location,” Davis said.