Student senate quarrels over firewoks funding

SPA receives $500 for Homecoming fireworks

The Student Government Association discussed helping the Student Programming Association with the funding of a fireworks show for Homecoming festivities at Wednesday’s meeting.The SGA allocated $500 to help the SPA pay the bill for the show.

Another motion stated the SGA would not help in funding the fireworks in the future unless the motion was brought up before the senate during the first week of the fall semester.

Also, an itemized purchase list or receipt will be requested, and any remaining funds will be returned and divided between the SGA and SPA fund balances.

James Irwin, spokesperson for the SPA, explained the motion to the senators.

“I would ask you all to support this motion, as it helps to support not only the alumni, but also the students,” Irwin said.

He said that the fireworks show would take place during half-time and would add to the crowing glory for the homecoming queen and king.

“This year there will be a total aerial display, and from the description that the special events chair gave me, it would be the rockets they shoot up into the air that explode into little pieces like fireworks usually do,” Irwin said.

Senator Larry White made an amendment to lower the amount that the SGA would fund for the fireworks. Senator Scott Duplantis said that the motion came from the executive board.

It was resolved that the motion did not come form the executive board, but that White was still unfamiliar with policies.

The motion to lower the cost of the funding to $300 did not pass.

In other business, Laurie Kraus-Landry, instructor of history and social sciences, thanked the SGA for its support with the supplemental instruction session proposal.

“Thank you for considering us in our motion last week. I received a phone call from Dean Mortillaro a little while ago, and it looks as though the administration has found enough money to keep the program afloat throughout the year,” Kraus said.

A stove that was purchased in February has yet to be installed in Ellender Residence Hall.

“I talked to Sabrina Laurent, and she said that the reason that it hasn’t been installed yet is because of a paperwork problem from the fire marshal to the safety officer on campus,” Alcie Maxwell, director of student rights and grievances, said.

Dr. Eugene Dial, vice president for student affairs, commented on the problem with the stove installation as well.

“When the old stove was put in place years and years ago, they did not have a fire code that requires some sort of suspension, but it should not have taken this long,” Dial said.