Soccer team drops conference opener

Nicholls fell to Southwest Texas, 3-0, in a conference game on Monday in San Marcos, Texas. Lady Colonel goal keepers Amy Rothe and Lindsay Bartlett split time at the goal, facing a total of 14 Southwest Texas (2-3, 1-0) shots.

Rothe made eight saves and allowed one goal in the opening half, while Bartlett stopped three shots and allowed a pair of goals in the second 45 minutes of play.

Nicholls managed to get one shot at the goal in the whole contest as freshman Melissa Bonneau attempted just one shot in the first half.

The Lady Bobcats scored the first goal in the 21st minute of play in the first half, but Nicholls managed to prevent Southwest from scoring for 50 minutes.

The Lady Bobcats scored again when Jaynee Sherman scored in the 71st minute, and her teammate Erin McCoig put the ball past Bartlett with less than four minutes left in the contest.

“I was proud of the way we played defense, Nicholls State coach Jim Zakel said. “Southwest Texas is a good team, and they are much better than their record. I am disappointed with the result, effort and the hustle.”

Southwest Texas outshot Nicholls 14-1, while taking 12 corner kicks as compared to the four corners attempted by the Lady Colonels.

All 16 Nicholls players who made the trip saw playing time.

Nicholls returns to action on Thursday, when it will play Loyola-New Orleans. The game against Loyola-New Orleans will start a stretch of three games within the next six days for the Colonels.