Colonels cross country keeps progressing

The Nicholls cross country team competed in the Joe Richardson Invitational meet held Monday evening in Nacodoches, Texas. Both the men and women teams showed their improvement from the previous year.

“I feel this was a very valuable learning experience for our runners,” coach Matt Pantusa said.

The men placed fourth out of the four teams that participated in the meet, and Kevin Zwezdaryk finished with the fastest time for the Nicholls men as he finished in 13th place with a time of 28:34. Michael Lancaster (29:25) and Nathan O’Connor (30:10) finished behind Zwezdaryk.

The women, who finished second behind Stephen F. Austin, the host of the meet, found their strength in Cassie Jones. Jones, who was the Southland Conference runner of the week last week, finished with a time of 19:59.

Christina Sergi, who ran one second behind Jones until the last mile, finished with a time of 20:06.

“The course is the most challenging we will run this year, and they (the Nicholls runners) learned where all of the twists and turns are,” Pantusa said.

Pantusa believes that the meet was a good experience because the teams consisted of all Southland Conference cross country teams.

“It was helpful to see some of our conference competitors in action,” he said.

Both of the Nicholls cross country teams will take to the trails again on Sept. 22 in Lafayette, La., when they run in the Ragin’ Cajun Classic.