Event previews campus research

Grant Boudreaux, mathematics junior from Thibodaux, demonstrates results related to Lehmers Equation Monday as part of the College of Arts and Sciences Research Week presentations.
Photo by: Bridget Mire
Grant Boudreaux, mathematics junior from Thibodaux, demonstrates results related to Lehmer’s Equation Monday as part of the College of Arts and Sciences Research Week presentations.

The fifth annual Research Week, part of the 12th Annual Jubilee Festival of the Arts and Humanities, began Monday and will last through Friday to showcase campus-wide research projects.Debra Benoit, director of research and sponsored programs, said the overall goal of Research Week is to feature and honor the research efforts of the faculty and students.

“Research Week allows faculty and students the opportunity to present their research endeavors to their colleagues and the public,” Benoit said. “Hopefully participants will learn and be impressed with some of the unique types of research being conducted on the Nicholls campus.”

Research Week events are open to everyone, Benoit said. “Mostly faculty, some students, some other University and system administrators, some sponsors and some retirees will be attending the sessions.”

The College of Arts and Sciences presented Monday, University College and Ellender Memorial Library presented Tuesday and the College of Business Administration presented Wednesday.

Today, the College of Nursing and Allied Health presents in Betsy Cheramie Ayo Hall from 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. The College of Education will present from noon to 1:30 p.m. Afterwards, there will be a presentation and reception in the Captain’s Room of the Student Union.

“There will be two speakers talking about environmental topics,” Hammerli said. “One of the speeches will be by the keynote speaker Ed Hammerli entitled ‘What’s the Matter with Mother Earth.'”

There will also be presentations by Allyse Ferrara, associate professor of biological sciences, entitled “The Good, the Bad, and Not So Ugly: Garfish, One of Louisiana’s Aquatic Treasures.”

Friday, the John Folse Culinary Institute faculty members will offer cooking demonstrations at Carmel Inn from 9 a.m. to noon. Hammerli said people always tell her that they look forward to going to the culinary segment of Research Week.

Benoit said she encourages the students and community members to drop by at least one session during the week.

“The general public is invited to be a part of the audience for each of the presentations,” Hammerli said.

To attend one of the cooking demonstrations, call (985) 449-7114 for more information and reservations.