Campus police continues break-in investigation

University Police continue the investigation of a break-in last month at the Men’s Athletic Department in which more than $4,000 worth of items were taken. Steve Tullis, University Police lieutenant, said a window on the door leading to several offices had a large hole in it. Due to the size and shape of the hole, it was determined a fire extinguisher was used to make the hole. Although the extinguisher was not found, other evidence was located.

“A fire extinguisher pin was found by the door,” Tullis said. “And all but one of the office doors were busted open.”

Tullis said the hole in the door was high and far enough from the knob that the suspect would have needed an extremely long reach in to access it.

“A small amount of blood was found inside,” Tullis said.

Police were notified Feb. 26 when a graduate assistant from the department discovered the damaged door.

Police questioned a coach, ex-athletes and several persons of interest in the case.

“We also dusted for fingerprints,” Tullis said. “One partial print was discovered. We’re waiting to see if the quality is good enough to use.”

Items taken during the break-in include two 32-inch and one 37-inch Toshiba LCD TVs, a Dell laptop, a Kindle Wireless Reading Device and $1,000 cash.

Tullis said the cost of the items taken during the break-in was $4,123.

“The TVs and the money were University property,” Tullis said. “The laptop and Kindle were faculty personal property.”

Tullis said the $1,000 was department money set aside for team travel expenses.

Less than two weeks after the burglary, a window at the KNSU radio station was broken, but University Police said there was no evidence to suggest that the building had been entered. Tullis said although the inside of KNSU has shelves of CDs, computers and radio equipment, nothing had been tampered with.

“It’s still unsure if it was a random act or if the two are related,” Tullis said.

The case of the break-in at the Men’s Athletics Department remains unsolved, and the investigation is ongoing.