Colonel baseball ends 11-game winning streak

Junior infielder Tristan Rogers (1) congratulates senior infielder Adam Miley (20) on a home run during Saturdays game against Lamar University, which was part of a three-game series.
Photo by: Bridget Mire
Junior infielder Tristan Rogers (1) congratulates senior infielder Adam Miley (20) on a home run during Saturday’s game against Lamar University, which was part of a three-game series.

The Colonel baseball team’s 11-game winning streak came to a halt last weekend after a loss to the Cardinals of Lamar; however, the Colonels were able to capture their first conference win during the three-game series.While the Colonels may no longer be on a winning streak, they, while ranked last in preseason polls, defeated the third-ranked Cardinals in two of the three games, earning fourth place in conference.

As of press time, the Colonels are hitting a .305 average as a team, scoring 119 total runs, eight of which are home runs.

Redshirt sophomore Blake Bergeron is currently on a 12-game hitting streak with a .362 batting average.

Bergeron has posted 19 runs on 21 hits while recording five doubles, two triples, a home run and 10 RBIs. Bergeron is tied for first in the conference for runs scored with 19 runs in 15 games, averaging 1.27 runs per game.

Senior Adam Miley has already sent three balls over the outfield fence while also hitting two doubles and a triple for a .357 batting average.

Miley is sixth in the conference with 18 runs scored in 15 games, averaging 1.20 runs per game. Miley has also recorded 17 RBIs, placing him seventh in conference. Miley averages 1.13 RBIs per game.

The Colonel pitching staff has maintained a 3.74 ERA through 130 innings and has been able to strike out 121 batters.

Sophomore weekday starter Ryan Cooper currently leads the conference with a 1.06 ERA of his 17 innings pitched. Cooper has only allowed 11 hits, five runs and four walks and has struck out 10 batters of the 61 he has faced.

Also helping the Colonel pitching staff is junior Saturday starter Clint Dempster.

Dempster has a 3.57 ERA in his 22.2 innings of pitching, allowing 17 hits, nine runs, 11 walks and one home run against the 84 batters he has faced.

Dempster is currently fourth in the conference, recording 28 strikeouts and averaging 11.12 strikeouts per game. Out of Dempsters’ 28 strikeouts, 15 batters struck out looking.

The outcome of yesterday’s Nicholls versus LSU game will be posted online.

The Colonels look to improve their record as they travel to Corpus Christi, Texas, to take on the Islanders of Texas A&M-Corpus Christi this weekend.

Fans can keep up with scores and play-by-play action on Gametracker. The link can be found on the Nicholls athletic Web site.