University offers students various elective options

Rachel Stephens, assistant professor of Art History, reviews for a test in ancient art structures during her Art Appreciation class Wednesday in Talbot Hall.
Photo by: Jamison Taylor

With scheduling around the corner, students have a variety of options when selecting electives to suit their needs. The University offers a variety of electives, which are classes students can choose to earn credit hours and meet the requirements of their major or minor.

Sara Thibodeaux, mass communication junior from Raceland, said Art 261, or Beginning Photography, was an enjoyable experience for her.

“I really enjoyed my photography class,” Thibodeaux said. “I took it my first semester at Nicholls, and it was just what I needed. I love photography, and learning to work with my hands in the darkroom was a blast.”

Not only was the course insightful, but Thibodeaux also said she found support from her peers.

“I learned so much from the other students too because each brought new ideas to the table,” Thibodeaux said. “I made some great friendships in that class as well.”

According to the course catalog, Beginning Photography uses black-and-white photography and emphasizes aesthetic proficiency. In addition to working in the darkroom, students are introduced to film scanning and Adobe Photoshop.

But there are classes students find equally appealing outside the Art Department. Paige Daigneault, biology senior from Bourg, said Art 110, or Art Appreciation, was a favorite of hers.

“I like art because the history behind it all is really interesting,” Daigneault said. “It’s great to see how beautiful works of art, which were created thousands of years ago, can be that great.”

In Art Appreciation, students learn the functions, forms and vocabulary of art, according to the course catalog. The class also uses illustrated examples to emphasize specific points.

Matthew Bordelon, culinary senior from Kenner, said his favorite class was Regional Cuisine.

“I like all the regional cuisine courses,” Bordelon said. “Latin American cuisine is a more intensive class where you’re exposed to a bunch of different things.”

Modern Cajun cuisine has a more hands-on approach, Bordelon said.

Regional Cuisine, or CULA 475, is an in-depth study offered by the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute that explores the cuisine of one or more regions, according to the course catalog. The course can be repeated if the content within it changes.

Cynthia Calhoun, marine biology junior from Mandeville, said she enjoys a number of her biology courses-not just one. These classes teach you the orders and classes of invertebrates, Calhoun said.

“You get to see the different species and identify them,” Calhoun said.

Courtney Adams, dietetics senior from Houma, said Human Sexuality was an interesting class. Chris Pena, nursing instructor, made it fun, Adams said.

The class deals with the study of the physical, emotional and social dimensions of human sexuality.

Music electives include History of Rock and Roll, Folk Music and Gospel Choir, among others.

Jolie Brignac, general studies senior from Abita Springs, said music electives are a good option that students should also consider.

“Everyone should take a music elective, because it’s easy,” Brignac said. “Jazz history rocks my socks.