Colonels baseball evens record to 3-3 overall

Senior infielder Brady Bourque slides onto home plate during Sundays game against Houston Baptist.  The Colonels won 15-11.
Photo by: Jamison Taylor
Senior infielder Brady Bourque slides onto home plate during Sunday’s game against Houston Baptist. The Colonels won 15-11.

The Colonels baseball team evened out their overall record to 3-3 after winning the 2010 Big Boy Classic hosted by Nicholls.The Colonels picked up their first win in game one on Saturday when the Colonels defeated the Bulldogs of Bryant University 4-3. The Colonels managed to score four runs on seven hits and only one error for the game.

The Colonels managed to take a come-from-behind win after an early Tennessee-Martin run on a passed ball. In the bottom of the first inning, senior outfielder Keith Kulbeth slammed a ball over the outfield fence to record a solo homerun to tie up the game. The Colonels scored again before the end of the inning on a Skyhawk fielding error.

The Colonels held the lead for the rest of the game, winning 8-2. Junior transfer Clint Dempster was credited with the win after an impressive showing on the mound. Dempster only allowed three Skyhawk hits, plating two, and was able to record 10 strikeouts.

The beginning of game three seemed to go downhill when the Huskies of Houston Baptist were able to post four runs in the top of the first inning. The team slogan of “No Excuses” came into play in the bottom of the first when the Colonels rallied and scored one run followed by four more in the bottom of the second to take a 5-4 lead.

The Colonels found home plate 10 more times before the end of the game. The Huskies tried to make a comeback in the sixth, seventh and ninth innings; however, only one pitch by junior pitcher Drew Erwin was enough to get the last out of the ninth inning with the tying run on deck.

The Colonels won 15-11 and improved their overall record to 3-3.

The Colonels managed to land five players on All-Tournament Team selected by coaches, sports information directors and media in attendance.

Redshirt sophomore Blake Bergeron landed the first base position for the All-Tournament team, recording a double, three runs and two runs-batted-in.

Senior Brady Bourque’s .556 batting average for the tournament was enough to land him the second base position. Bourque recorded a double, two RBI’s and four runs.

A homer and double by Kulbeth, as well as a good showing in left field, was enough to place him in the outfield spot on the team.

Senior designated hitter Adam Miley plated three teammates and found home base four times to earn the DH spot.

Dempster’s performance was not only good enough to land one of the three pitching positions on the All-Tournament team but also allowed him to be named Most Outstanding Pitcher for the 2010 Big Boy Classic.

The Colonels look to continue their success with “No Excuses” on Saturday as they take on Southern University in a double header starting at 12 p.m. The Colonels will then travel to Baton Rouge on Sunday to play Southern again with the first pitch set for 1 p.m.