Junior college transfer on top of conference rankings

Junior outfielder Bear Comer bats during last weeks doubleheader against Arkansas-Monticello.
Photo by: Courtney Gardere
Junior outfielder Bear Comer bats during last week’s doubleheader against Arkansas-Monticello.

Junior outfielder transfer Daniel “Bear” Comer has only played 11 games for the Colonels, however, he has already found himself in Southland Conference individual rankings.Comer claims the top spot in stolen bases, posting eight successful steals on nine attempts. Comer has drawn nine walks to land seventh in the conference.

Comer holds a .229 batting average, hitting eight of 35 at bats. He also plated four Colonels to record four RBI’s.

On the defensive side, Comer has recorded 28 put outs and has maintained a 1.000 fielding average throughout the season so far.

Comer is from Pace, Fla. and transferred from Pensacola Junior College.

Q: First and foremost, your real name is Daniel. How did you acquire the name Bear?

A: “As a child, I would watch the Chicago Bears play football on the television, and I would pretend that I was playing with them. So from then on, my dad began calling me Bear, and the name stuck with me through school and athletics.”

Q: What has been your most embarrassing moment?

A: “I was eight years old, and we were getting ready to play a baseball game. I was running through some woods behind the baseball field, and I fell in a hole. The little hole turned out to be a huge mud pit, with mud coming up to my neck. When I finally was able to get out, my dad looked at me and told me I still had to play in the game. So with my mud filled jersey, I embarrassingly played the entire game with eventually-dried mud up to my neck.”

Q: What has been your most memorable moment in baseball?

A: “In my junior year of high school, we played in the state championship in Sarasota, Fla., against a team whose starting pitcher signed with Florida State University. We scored five runs in the bottom of the seventh with two outs to win the game.”

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?

A: “In five years, I see myself working in New Orleans to become a SWAT team member.”

Q: If you could play for any Major League team, who would it be and why?

A: “If I could play for any team, I would want to play for the Chicago Cubs. My dad was born in Chicago, and ever since I can remember, we have been fans of every Chicago team except the White Socks.”

Q: How is it different playing in Louisiana than in Florida?

A: “There are a few differences between playing here in Louisiana and in Florida. In Florida we never have to tarp the field, therefore, never really having rain, creating a weather difference. In Florida the coaches take a more laid back approach rather than here where the coaching is more intense, and they are more involved.”

Q: What are some of the things Florida has that you wish you had in Louisiana?

A: “I wish I had sunny weather, mullet fishing, good drivers, a real beach and my family.”

Q: How do you manage both schoolwork and traveling?

A: “I do my homework ahead of time when I know I will be traveling. I also attend study hall to help me focus and get my school work and studying accomplished.”

Q: What are some of the things you like to do when you don’t have baseball or in the off-season?

A: “I enjoy visiting with my family and friends. I also like to umpire little league to keep my mind on baseball and to keep my eye for the ball.”

Q: What do you think are the differences between junior college and Nicholls?

A: “In junior college, it didn’t really feel like a team sport because a lot of players played just to get drafted. Here at Nicholls, it’s more about if you have good players who connect and play as a whole, then you will have a successful baseball program.