Former Colonel player finds his place on the sidelines

Assistant womens basketball coaches Justin Payne and Louise Do Bonin talk during the Jan. 20th game against Central Arkansas.
Photo by: Jamison Taylor
Assistant women’s basketball coaches Justin Payne and Louise “Do” Bonin talk during the Jan. 20th game against Central Arkansas.

The Colonels women’s basketball team has played with great desire and determination-something the players have learned from a former Colonel. Former Colonel and first year assistant coach Justin Payne brought his basketball knowledge with him to the sidelines. Though his playing days are over, Payne said he still enjoys the time he gets to spend in the gym.

“It’s very hard to just sit and watch,” Payne said. “I want to get out there and help them close a gap or put a hand in the face of a shooter.”

Sitting on the sideline, Payne has noticed some differences between his playing days and now.

“The girls’ game is slower, but they will run through a brick wall for you,” Payne said. “If you tell them what to do, they do it right away.”

Payne said he plans on coaching as long as he can. He would like to stay at the college level and someday become a head coach.

Payne said he learned a lot from head coach DoBee Plaisance. “I feed off of her toughness,” Payne said. “She is very good at offensive and defensive philosophy and the development of shooters and players.”

Payne said the girls have also taught him some valuable things: patience and believing.

The Colonels picked up their first conference win Saturday against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 61-58.

“I was very happy for the girls to pick up their first conference win against the number one team,” Payne said. “I was very emotional.”

The Colonels erased a nine-point deficit early in the second half. They had help from five players who were able to score in double figures.

Junior Ricshanda Bickham and sophomore Jasmine Hoskins each had 12 points in the Colonels’ victory.

Look for Colonels under Plaisance and Payne to continue their play on Saturday against in-state rival Southeastern Louisiana. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. inside Stopher Gym.