Former college players serve as assistant coaches

Graduate assistant mens basketball coach Andrew Kearney supervises practice Tuesday in Stopher Gym.
Photo by: Bridget Mire
Graduate assistant men’s basketball coach Andrew Kearney supervises practice Tuesday in Stopher Gym.

While some Colonels teams are adjusting to new players, the men’s basketball team is adjusting to two new assistant coaches.The Colonels welcome assistant coach Billy Begley and graduate assistant coach Andrew Kearney. The two coaches will join returning assistant coach Kevin Johnson and head coach J.P. Piper.

Begley begins his first season with the Colonels by way of Mississippi State University, where he was a part of consecutive Southeastern Conference West Division Regular Season Championship teams.

“The biggest thing he has done has been managing our travel, equipment, recruiting details and organizing recruiting itineraries as well as our teams travel. It takes all of that responsibility from me and allows me to focus on basketball,” Piper said. “He has also done an excellent job with scouting reports and film study. I think Billy has a bright future as a college coach.”

Begley helped lead his team to SEC West titles in 06-07 and 07-08 seasons. Also in 2008, MSU appeared in the second round in the NCAA Tournament. However, as a freshman in 03-04, Begley helped his team to a regular season championship and a number two seed in the NCAA Tournament for the South Region.

This is Begley’s first coaching opportunity outside of being a player. He explained how tough it was to not be able to play.

“As far as playing, you could go out there and have a direct impact. If Coach wanted something done, then you could go out there and do it,” Begley said. “As a coach, you have to tell them what you want them to do. You can’t make them do what you want them to do, which is the toughest thing.”

Kearney comes to Nicholls by way of Campbellsville College. He served as an assistant coach for a season.

“He’s done a great job. He’s responsible for the academics of the guys as well as his own. He makes sure our guys are in class and study halls, as well as make sure the guys who need extra work outside of study hall get tutors,” Piper said. “He also organizes all of our film exchange. I think he also has a chance to stay in this business and be successful in college coaching.”

Kearney was a four-year player for NCAA Division II Lake Superior State and now finds it tough to not be able to go on the court and play.

“You have to learn how to facilitate what you want them to do,” Kearney said. “My college coach kind of helped me because I was the captain my senior year, so that helped a little. I like it, but nothing will replace getting up and running up and down the floor.”

Both of these coaches come in with college playing experience that will help them with coaching and everyday situations involved with basketball.

“The fact that they have played helps them be empathetic to what the guys are going through,” Piper said. “When our guys struggle with basketball, academics or life, they can help the guys cope because they have been there before.”

People can watch the Colonels under the direction of their coaches on Feb. 20 in Stopher Gym. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.