University offers various continuing education courses

The Department of Continuing Education, which offers non-credit courses to the surrounding community, expects to see continued interest in its exercise classes for the Spring 2010 semester. Brandie Toups, director of continuing education, said the department usually sees the largest enrollment in its numerous exercise classes.

“Belly Dancing, Pilates and Walking and Jogging are all expected to do very well,” Toups said. “Usually all of the exercise classes are popular each semester.”

Belly Dancing, for example, will present a beginners’ dance class to teach the essence of the ancient art. While the class will feature yoga-inspired stretching, the main focus is on the enjoyment of the dance itself.

Toups said another popular course is Introduction to Canoeing. This course will take participants through the basics of canoeing: paddling straight and efficiently, trimming the boat in wind, bracing, sculling, heeling and turning the boat, ferrying across currents and avoiding dangerous situations.

In another course called Journal to the Self: Writing Workshop, participants will gain a first-hand perspective on the therapeutic benefit of writing. The course is designed to improve mental, emotional and physical health. A journaling workbook is also included in the course fee.

Story Telling 101: How To Effectively Read and Tell Stories is targeted to assist adults in becoming better public speakers and creating a stronger relationship with their children. Award-winning journalist Al Carter will present a three-part series that aids participants in becoming a better story crafter. The class includes reading stories from traditional books, how to create impromptu stories, encouraging children to make up their own stories and digging deep to discover and share personal family stories.

Touops said other popular choices this semester are PowerPoint and the ACT Prep Course.

All the classes offered through the Office of Continuing Education are broken down into two major types: community enrichment and professional development.

According to a continuing education pamphlet, community enrichment courses are designed to expand a person’s horizons and create new interests.

Professional development courses help those already in the workplace stay informed about new skills adaptable to their jobs by offering seminars, conferences and workshops.

According to the department, all of these courses are offered to develop or advance a new career, increase self-esteem, expands one’s knowledge and have fun while developing new interests.

“The purpose of our department is to foster the University’s mission by offering non-traditional courses and subject matter,” Toups said.

Additional course fees may be required for materials in some classes. These fees will be paid to the course instructors.

Course locations will be posted online, and confirmation letters will be mailed to registrants once their payment is received.

Tuitions for the classes vary and are listed in each course description. Fees are to be paid before the registration deadline, and payments received after will be subject to a $10 late fee. Refunds are available for any course if continuing education is notified before the registration deadline.

For more information, go to www.nicholls.edu/conted.