Culinary graduate invents utensil-carrying tote bag

Vaughn Trannon, a 2003 graduate of the John Folse Culinary Institute, travels with the Traveling Culinarist, a bag he invented to carry cooking utensils.

Vaughn Trannon, a 2003 graduate of the University’s John Folse Culinary Institute who is known for his list of culinary accolades and work as a private chef to high profile clients, has now focused on developing new products to help other talented cooks succeed. The Traveling Culinarist, which was designed by Trannon, is a bag specifically designed to hold many cooking utensils of different shapes and sizes. Trannon, who now works as a private chef, created the Traveling Culinarist to help accommodate cooks and chefs who are on-the-go.

“When you travel as a chef, you never know what implements you will find in the kitchen you borrow,” Trannon wrote on his Web site. “Although a good chef can improvise with the utensils that are available, it does make cooking easier and more efficient when you know you have your own quality tools of the trade.”

Two styles of the Traveling Culinarist are available, and they range from $249 to $420.

Trannon’s culinary career began when he moved to New Orleans from Michigan after completing high school. He graduated from Delgado with an associate’s degree in Dietetics in May of 1999. This opened the door to his first job as a food service director, assistant dietician and nutrition instructor.

A year later, Trannon landed a job as Chef II at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans. It was during this time that he decided to also continue his education and training. In May 2003, Trannon was awarded a bachelor of science degree in culinary arts from the Culinary Institute.

“Vaughn is an exceptional young man in many ways,” Randy Cheramie, instructor of the Culinary Institute, said. “He is always looking to improve himself and improve his standards.”

According to Trannon’s Web site, he worked the next few years at the Ritz Carlton as saucier, then assistant banquet chef, lead supervisor in charge of soups, stocks, sauces, starches and daily operational services.

“The guy could cook,” Cheramie said.

Trannon’s list of awards includes those from, “Gambit Magazine,” “Zagat Survey” and “Food and Wine Magazine.”

After he built a reputation for culinary creativity, Trannon became a private chef. Although it was a risky move, he was able to turn his extensive collection of contacts to begin to acquire high-end clients. He is currently focusing on his line of Trannon Culinary products.

Trannon’s Web site offers insight to those who hope to, one day, walk down the culinary road.

“Sometimes the culinary arts are overlooked as being only a means to fulfill our instinctive need to eat for basic survival, when in fact it is more complex and is an articulated art form. Within society the culinary arts are often taken for granted. Many seem to want to place cooking and art in two separate categories, but as a new breed of cooks is coming into their own, their artistry is becoming more and more important to the culinary world,” Trannon wrote. “As the art form becomes more mainstream, the few that have mastered the art are beginning to emerge. The truly gifted chefs around the world have diverse and distinct backgrounds and have formulated unique insights into the extensive education that must go into a well planned, displayed and flavorful five-star meal.”

For more information on Vaughn Trannon or Trannon Culinary products, visit www.trannonculinary.com.