Lady Colonel soccer team opens season on positive note

Freshman Melissa Bonneau scored one goal and assisted on another as the Lady Colonel soccer team beat Alabama A&M Bulldogs 4-2 on Friday afternoon in a non-conference contest.

The game, which was part of Southern Mississippi’s Golden Eagle Soccer Classic, marked the debut of Nicholls coach Jim Zakel and nine Lady Colonel newcomers.

Bonneau scored in the first 15 minutes by taking a pass from junior Tyna Wells and beating Alabama A&M (0-1-0) goal tender Mmamajeremana Twola from point-blank range.

The Lady Bulldogs tied the game seven minutes later, but Lady Colonel Candice O’Meallie finished a direct kick off the foot of Roxanna Gonzales.

Heading into half-time, Alabama A&M tied the game by capitalizing on an open goal by Nicholls (1-0-0) in the 35th minute of the game.

Tracy Passafiume converted a penalty kick in the 51st minute of the second half of play, which turned out to be the game-winner. Passafiume’s first career goal was followed 19 minutes later by the first career tally of Brooke Heffler, who alertly knocked home a corner kick by Bonneau.

“It’s always good to get the first one under your belt,” Zakel said. “I was pleased with the way our young players responded.”

After taking the 2-1 lead, and then allowing a goal, we could have very easily folded. Instead, we played with intensity and intelligence in the second 45 minutes and came away with the win.

Freshman netminder Amy Rothe recorded seven saves on the way to her first collegiate win.

Rothe faced 12 Lady Bulldog shots while the Lady Colonels assaulted the Alabama A&M net 15 times. The Lady Colonels attempted seven corner kicks, while Alabama A&M tried two.

The four goals scored by the Lady Colonels is the most ever in the 52-game history of the program. In 2000, Nicholls scored three goals on two occasions.

The win also represented the first time in school history the team has begun the season 1-0.

The Colonels game against Middle Tennessee was cancelled due to wet field conditions on Sunday.

The Colonels will return to action on Sept. 10 against Southwest Texas.