Blackwell named as new head athletic trainer for NSU

Jerry Blackwell, a 1998 graduate of Nicholls, was named the head athletic trainer for Nicholls on Monday in an announcement by athletic director Rob Bernardi. “It really makes me happy to hire a Nicholls State alumnus,” Bernardi said.

“Jerry is someone who has worked hard, paid his dues and been an integral part of our training staff.”

“I have absolutely no doubt that he will do a fantastic job while continuing to be a hard-working and loyal member of our department,” he said.

Blackwell, a 13-year veteran of Nicholls’ athletic training staff, is succeeding Gerard White, will remain at Nicholls as the program director of the sports medicine curriculum.

A native of Chalmette, was enrolled at Nicholls in 1989. He then moved up from student assistant to graduate assistant and is now the head trainer.

Blackwell, who holds a degree in health and science, has worked extensively with the Colonel football and baseball programs. As the Colonels baseball trainer for the past 13 years, he has made two regional trips with baseball in 1992 and 1998.

He also assisted with men’s’ basketball in 1995 and 1998, accompanying the team to the NCAA tournament. Blackwell was also a part of the Colonel football team’s travel squad when they made it to the Division I-AA playoffs in 1996.

“It is very satisfying to be a part of the Nicholls State family. I worked my way up,” Blackwell said. “It’s great the people wanted me to stay and make me feel at home.”

Blackwell is a member of the National Association of Athletic Trainers , the Southeastern Association of Athletic Trainers and the Louisiana Athletic Trainers Association.

He was a student speaker at the LATA Convention held in Thibodaux in 1997, where he spoke about rotator cuff injuries.

Blackwell was an intern with the New Orleans Saints during their 2000 training camp and season, and also worked at Metro Physical Therapy in St. Bernard parish.

Blackwell will be assisted by Barbara Naquin, another Nicholls graduate and a 26-year veteran of the department.